No announcement yet.

Cinnamon 2.2 Desktop Supports HiDPI, GTK CSD Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSX most certainly is not free. The cost is factored in when you buy that overpriced Mac. It hasn't been very long that Apple have been giving away new versions either. Up until very recently it was thirty dollars for each upgrade. Quite frequently apple break backwards compatibly too, so you have to upgrade your Mac again.

If I recall correctly, Cinnamon's control panel is just a slightly tweaked version of the gnome panel. Any OSX plagiarism most likely starts higher up the chain. Of course its just as likely that control panels only have a very limited number of practical layouts.

Does anyone know how well cinnamon runs on Pentium 4 generation hardware? Mint is probably the best replacement for xp but recently I've found performance of Linux on older hardware to be below xp.

Comment

Originally posted by Windywoo View Post
      Does anyone know how well cinnamon runs on Pentium 4 generation hardware? Mint is probably the best replacement for xp but recently I've found performance of Linux on older hardware to be below xp.
      For hardware that old, you'll want a lightweight desktop, such as LXDE or Xfce. Cinnamon is a bit too graphics-heavy to run smoothly on that old hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Windywoo View Post
        OSX most certainly is not free. The cost is factored in when you buy that overpriced Mac. It hasn't been very long that Apple have been giving away new versions either. Up until very recently it was thirty dollars for each upgrade. Quite frequently apple break backwards compatibly too, so you have to upgrade your Mac again.
        OSX runs on regular PCs as well. Legally.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
          So I took a look at my Cinnamon System Settings... and you know what it reminded me of? EVERY SYSTEM SETTINGS EVER (aside from Windows).

KDE: http://bcchang.com/immersive_blog/wp...m-settings.jpg
          Gnome: http://www.hecticgeek.com/wp-content...nome-Shell.jpg

Well, would ya look at that! They all look the same!! I wonder why >_>
          Maybe, just maybe, it's because that's the best way to do it and it's not "ripping off" and more "using a great design". And if you're going to rip on Cinnamon about it, make sure you include the other DEs, even the ones you like ^.^
          KDE System Settings ? the original with the right to use that name, btw ? has different view modes. The icon view is just one of two because unlike those OSX-inspired Gnome forks KDE actually has own ideas that in some cases Apple adopts (KHTML, in-line spell checking in web text fields,?)

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
            I wish they had sticked to providing a nice set of extensions and maybe a fork of nautilus instead of forking the whole package... Too much redundancy.
            cinnamon made gnome-shell redundant here

TBH gnome-shell made itself redundant here as I didn't need some Windoze 8 wannabe.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
              OSX runs on regular PCs as well. Legally.
              Legal where you are perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                it is annoying, but... compared to clippy and some other really annoying ones??? sheesh
                No way, cinnamon menu only add support to have highlighted the fresh apps in the menu. The decision of show or not the apps highlighted will have to be taken by the artists of each of the huge list of themes that has cinnamon. So ... what's the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  I hope its faster and more responsive.

Last time I tried Cinnamon the app menu was slow.
                  Oh yes, the menu have several improvements. But if you are the type of user that want to have a big configurable menu, you can use this: http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/171

Comment

Originally posted by leigh123linux View Post
                    cinnamon made gnome-shell redundant here

TBH gnome-shell made itself redundant here as I didn't need some Windoze 8 wannabe.
                    I don't really see it imitating windows 8 -- how could it? Windows 8 was released a year after Gnome 3.0 (Aug 2012 vs Apr 2011). The thing they have most in common is the removal of the "Start menu", which you can easily re-enable in Gnome 3 in the settings. You can even have the bottom bar back, if you really like to.

I think a re-merge of Cinnamon and Gnome 3 would make perfect sense, considering porting the desktop to Wayland and reducing maintenance costs. The extension system is pretty stable these days. Many extensions work with shell version 3.6 to 3.12 with the very same code base. My own extension even works with Debian stable (shell 3.4) albeit I need to disable some features for this version. I didn't have to change a line of code from 3.8 on.

Comment

Working...
                    X