Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.15-rc1 Was Just Released & It's Real Big

Phoronix: Linux 3.15-rc1 Was Just Released & It's Real Big

The first release candidate to the Linux 3.15 kernel is now available and it marks the close of the kernel merge window for about two months. Linux 3.15 is poised to be a very exciting kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's not big
    9918 files changed, 614375 insertions(+), 241835 deletions(-)

A lot of things from linux-next was not merged
    1261 files changed, 313942 insertions(+), 309722 deletions(-)

Comment

It just occurred to me that maybe Linus should release Linux 4.0 when the Kernel can be compiled with LTO and LLVM. Which means GCC 4.9 and LLVM 3.5. And many other major subsystems should all be ready around the same time like X 1.16 and maybe wayland?

Comment

Error Kernel

Hi, i have kubuntu 14.04 64bit, when compiling kernel 3.15-rc1 i have this error.

test ! -f scripts/package/builddeb.kpkg-dist || mv -f scripts/package/builddeb.kpkg-dist scripts/package/builddeb
        test ! -f scripts/package/Makefile.kpkg-dist || mv -f scripts/package/Makefile.kpkg-dist scripts/package/Makefile
        /usr/bin/make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/usr/src/linux-3.15-rc1/debian/linux-image-3.15.0-rc1 \
        INSTALL_FW_PATH=/usr/src/linux-3.15-rc1/debian/linux-image-3.15.0-rc1/lib/firmware/3.15.0-rc1 \
        INSTALL_PATH=/usr/src/linux-3.15-rc1/debian/linux-image-3.15.0-rc1//boot install
        make[2]: ingresso nella directory "/usr/src/linux-3.15-rc1"
        scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
        make[2]: uscita dalla directory "/usr/src/linux-3.15-rc1"
        make[2]: ingresso nella directory "/usr/src/linux-3.15-rc1"
        sh /usr/src/linux-3.15-rc1/arch/x86/boot/install.sh 3.15.0-rc1 arch/x86/boot/bzImage \
        System.map "/usr/src/linux-3.15-rc1/debian/linux-image-3.15.0-rc1//boot"
        run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 3.15.0-rc1 /usr/src/linux-3.15-rc1/debian/linux-image-3.15.0-rc1//boot/vmlinuz-3.15.0-rc1
        /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal: 84: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal: cannot create /etc/apt/apt.conf.d//01autoremove-kernels.dpkg-new: Permission denied
        run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal exited with return code 2
        make[3]: *** [install] Errore 1
        make[2]: *** [install] Errore 2
        make[2]: uscita dalla directory "/usr/src/linux-3.15-rc1"
        make[1]: *** [debian/stamp/install/linux-image-3.15.0-rc1] Errore 2
        make[1]: uscita dalla directory "/usr/src/linux-3.15-rc1"
        make: *** [kernel_image] Errore 2

can help me?? Thanks

Comment

How do you compile it with sudo, su, fakeroot...? Or as a user, which explains that "Permission denied" .

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenzov View Post
            Hi, i have kubuntu 14.04 64bit, when compiling kernel 3.15-rc1 i have this error. [...] can help me?? Thanks
            As Dungeon said, you have to compile everything as root, either using sudo each time, or using "sudo su"

Then follow the instructions here (in italian): http://wiki.ubuntu-it.org/Amministra...ilazioneKernel

Comment

make xconfig

make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image

works good 3.14.00
              :-(

no sudo , Use this procedure to be approximately 2 years

Comment

I do not know if it's a problem of my kubuntu or a defect in the kernel .....

Comment

Originally posted by grayhat View Post
                  As Dungeon said, you have to compile everything as root, either using sudo each time, or using "sudo su"

Then follow the instructions here (in italian): http://wiki.ubuntu-it.org/Amministra...ilazioneKernel
                  now that you mention it, I was wrong and I'd used the sudo command by mistake, I deleted those folders and now I'm recompiling.

Comment

Compiled now kernel 3.14.1 very good, 3.15.0-rc1 error. Ok I am waiting for rc2 or rc3
                    Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X