Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Is Coming To Linux

We're still waiting to hear about the release of older Sid Meier titles for Linux / SteamOS, especially Civilization V looked like it would come to Linux thanks to Valve's Linux gaming efforts. Stay tuned for more updates.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY2MzI
    No, Civ V *never* looked liked it was coming out for linux to anyone who was actually paying attention. Read the thread from that article, and look at the original source (http://www.amazon.com/2K-Definitive-.../dp/B00F3F2UJ6). Linux as a platform consistently appeared to be a typographical error on the part of Amazon, nothing more. Civ: Beyond Earth appears to be the real deal. Super excited for native platform support on a Civ game.

Civ games pretty consistently support multiple/mutually exclusive graphics technologies, I think. I played Civ IV on windows back when it was new, and it had multiple installers, for each version of DirectX iirc. I wouldn't read too much into anything they say in terms of support of graphics tech.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
      Whoa, Alpha Centauri came out for Linux Alpha too? It's a damn shame what happened to the Alpha architecture...PPC for that matter too.
      AFAIK, PPC is alive and still kickin'. Albeit they're not in the desktop segment. Just server and embedded. POWER8 looks darn nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        Will OS X and Linux then have Mantle?
        Has nothing to do with Mantle. No game is going to avoid supporting every nvidia card, every intel chip, and all the old radeon cards as well. It's obviously going to have an OpenGL backend along with the Direct3D and Mantle backends.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
          AFAIK, PPC is alive and still kickin'. Albeit they're not in the desktop segment. Just server and embedded. POWER8 looks darn nice!
          You just reminded me about that Turbolinux (??) build of the PS3 designed to make it a desktop.

Apparently TB-L is defunct entirely now. Ah well =P
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by tga.d View Post
            No, Civ V *never* looked liked it was coming out for linux to anyone who was actually paying attention. Read the thread from that article, and look at the original source (http://www.amazon.com/2K-Definitive-.../dp/B00F3F2UJ6). Linux as a platform consistently appeared to be a typographical error on the part of Amazon, nothing more. Civ: Beyond Earth appears to be the real deal. Super excited for native platform support on a Civ game.
            I think the rumor started because it's featured here: http://store.steampowered.com/living...eamController/

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
              Ha ha, Yeah I know it's still alive and kicking in the mainframe and embedded markets. I used to have to deal with IBM iSeries machines. Unfortunately those just had a crappy OS on top of awesome hardware. Didn't even have USB support...

Oddly, now when I think PPC, I think of overly expensive Amiga accelerators. I almost bought a Mac laptop right before they switched to Intel, just because I wanted to own a PPC. But that never happened.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                You just reminded me about that Turbolinux (??) build of the PS3 designed to make it a desktop.

Apparently TB-L is defunct entirely now. Ah well =P
                Sony made a huge mistake when they tried to popularize Linux among PS3 users. In that time, Loki didn't exist, but Sony could cooperate with LGP, Runesoft, Illwinter Game Design, and Hyperion Entertainment to sell existing classic games, and they could port more PPC games in the future. How it is possible that millions PS3 users installed Linux but perhaps only several of them tried to run a commercial Linux PPC games on PS3?

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
                  Sony made a huge mistake when they tried to popularize Linux among PS3 users. In that time, Loki didn't exist, but Sony could cooperate with LGP, Runesoft, Illwinter Game Design, and Hyperion Entertainment to sell existing classic games, and they could port more PPC games in the future. How it is possible that millions PS3 users installed Linux but perhaps only several of them tried to run a commercial Linux PPC games on PS3?
                  Sony didn't expose the GPU, and thus Linux was running with software accel (a special llvmpipe, IIRC). Even with the SPUs, not high quality gaming without the GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
                    I think the rumor started because it's featured here: http://store.steampowered.com/living...eamController/
                    No, if you read the article it clearly states where the rumor originated from: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQ3Nzc
                    Note that the article is from before the steam controller was announced (and even in that case, I'm pretty sure most people assumed it was a tease at the streaming capabilities).

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                      More like a sequel to Alpha Centauri, EA owns that name so they did not wan't to risk using it.
                      I absolutely WISH that EA just released the source code to that game. I'm kind of annoyed that such a popular game is held in vaults by EA of all companies. Screw Origin for that matter. I'll never buy an Origin game EVER.

Good on Firaxis for making this game. I'll be looking forward to it and will purchase it on steam.

Comment

Working...
                      X