Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Is Coming To Linux

Phoronix: Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Is Coming To Linux

Sid Meier's next major game release in the Civilization franchise will see a native Linux game port...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Alpha Centauri remake?

Sweet, kind of seems like it's an Alpha Centauri remake. Which is rather funny, 'cause it's the only Sid Meier game that has a native Linux version. I wonder if Civilization 5 is getting a Linux client or not, since it was rumored and listed on Amazon as such..

I'd probably play the games more if they were under Linux, I only ever boot into Windows about once a week or so to play games, and have been doing that less and less lately.

Comment

More like a sequel to Alpha Centauri, EA owns that name so they did not wan't to risk using it.

Comment

Ha, well are any of the Civlization games really 'sequels' since they are essentially all the same thing, just with various additions/subtractions. Actually, maybe I should just fire up the original Civilization on my Amiga 4000 for old times sake.

Comment

That is a really interesting fact that Loki ported Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri to Linux x86 as well Linux PowerPC and Linux Alpha.

Comment

If you want to see confirmation of it coming to Linux look at the bottom of this post:
            Looks like Civilization is getting a reboot and it's called Civilization: Beyond Earth. The great news is that multiple sources are stating Linux is a platform of choice now for Firaxis. See the bottom for the update.

2K (The publisher) email me to confirm it.

Comment

Whoa, Alpha Centauri came out for Linux Alpha too? It's a damn shame what happened to the Alpha architecture...PPC for that matter too.

Comment

Will OS X and Linux then have Mantle?

IGN’s home for the latest game trailers, including new gameplay, cinematics, announcements, and reveals. Subscribe to stay up to date and get notified when new trailers arrive, that includes during events like Nintendo Directs, Sony State of Plays, E3, The Game Awards, Gamescom, and more. Check out our playlists for trailers coming to your preferred gaming platforms like PC, Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X. For more content, visit IGN.com or check out our other channels: IGN - https://www.youtube.com/IGN IGN Games - https://www.youtube.com/IGNGames IGN Guides - https://www.youtube.com/c/IGNGuides IGN VR - https://www.youtube.com/IGNVR IGN Movie Trailers - https://www.youtube.com/IGNMovieTrailers This is only a small taste of the videos and content available from IGN. Get more, visit http://www.ign.com

?Having celebrated its 23rd anniversary last year, Civilization has cemented its reputation as one of the greatest and longest running franchises in video game history,? said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. ?Sid Meier?s Civilization: Beyond Earth builds upon that success by pushing the series in new directions with players exploring an unknown future on an alien planet.?

?The Civ team was excited about the opportunity to continue the story of Civilization into the future, because it allows the team to break free of historical context,? said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. ?We?ve always let our fans create the history of mankind, and Civilization: Beyond Earth will now let them create the future.?

In addition to its use of DirectX 11, Sid Meier?s Civilization: Beyond Earth will be among the first wave of products optimized for the latest in AMD graphics technologies, including: the new Mantle graphics API, for enhanced graphics performance; AMD CrossFire?, for UltraHD resolutions and extreme image quality; and AMD Eyefinity, which allows for a panoramic gameplay experience on up to six different HD displays off of a single graphics card.

Sid Meier?s Civilization: Beyond Earth is not yet rated by the ESRB, and will be available for Windows PC, Mac and Linux in North America this fall for $49.99. Take a look at some of the debut screen shots below. If you're interested in finding out more, you can head over to its official Civilization website right here.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
                  Whoa, Alpha Centauri came out for Linux Alpha too? It's a damn shame what happened to the Alpha architecture...PPC for that matter too.
                  I think that installer for Linux Alpha was not include on the CD with game but you can still download it from this website:

I'm not sure if this version of Alpha Centauri was officially supported by Loki.

I know that many commercial games were ported to Linux PPC, Alpha and Sparc, and several of them were unreleased.

However, only LGP published a game for Linux Alpha on the CD, and they mentioned it about it in the interview with Michael Simms.
                  I didn't find any information on the box with CD, but I found it on CD with game.
                  This interview disappeared from the website but I used archive.org to find it:

Comment

I am gobSMAC'd

It's about bloody time they put out a revamp of the game that set the path of subsequent Civ's (3 onwards). And somehow they all still seem weak comparatively to this day (yes yes, sentimentality, I know). They dont even have global warming punishments like in Civ2 anymore! Which also had video feeds of your avisors which was just a brilliantl fun addition. Or the castle you get to build up when you build your civ.

*sigh*

Hurry up SMAC2!
                    Hi

Comment

Working...
                    X