The GNOME Foundation Is Running Short On Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by strcat View Post
    It's not touch-screen oriented, in fact it doesn't work well there yet. It was only designed with the possibility of supporting touch screens in the future. It's far more keyboard-oriented than the old GNOME2 interface, although it's less keyboard friendly than a tiling window manager. It's arguably less mouse-friendly on a large screen than GNOME2 due to the global menu, but 3.12 made using it optional. It allows replacing the global menu with an icon in the header bars. There was never pain when you're using the keyboard, because you're not moving the mouse up to the menu anyway.
    I'm not trying to debate anything, I just wanted to give an end-user's perspective, and from what I've experienced, it's not very mouse friendly, and seems designed more for touch screens than a mouse/keyboard setup. Perhaps that's one of the reasons Gnome 3 hasn't taken off the way it was expected. It has gotten better, again speaking from experience, but it's nowhere near good enough for me to use on a daily basis. I'm not bashing the team, nor do I intend to. They dedicate time and effort to this project. I will not be using Gnome 3.x for the foreseeable future, even so.

Comment

• Sorry if wrong thread but anyway,
      can someone explain me, why on God's green earth, this bug (feature?) (https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=138931) was not fixed, for about...let me see...10 friggin years!? You've got to be kidding me.
      Awesome.

No wonder GNOME Foundation is short on money, get your shit together.

Comment

• Originally posted by fanATic View Post
        Sorry if wrong thread but anyway,
        can someone explain me, why on God's green earth, this bug (feature?) (https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=138931) was not fixed, for about...let me see...10 friggin years!? You've got to be kidding me.
        Awesome.

No wonder GNOME Foundation is short on money, get your shit together.
        What do you wana hear? obviously nobody cares enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by oleid View Post
          What do you wana hear? obviously nobody cares enough.
          A bug report that is open for about 10 years, has 30 comments from people requesting that feature and nobody cares enough?
          A perfect example why people think that Gnome developers don't react to feedback from their users.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            A bug report that is open for about 10 years, has 30 comments from people requesting that feature and nobody cares enough?
            A perfect example why people think that Gnome developers don't react to feedback from their users.
            ... nobody (of the developers) cares enough (to react)...
            ... nobody (of the users) cares enough (to act)... (e.g. raise founds to hire someone to implement it)

AFAIK about GTK+, this is a toolkit limitation, thus it's not easy to implement in nautilus alone.

Comment

AFAIK about GTK+, this is a toolkit limitation, thus it's not easy to implement in nautilus alone.
              Depends on the toolkit. GTK+ is notoriously hard to extend with new or substantially modified widgets, but that is a limitation of GTK+. Since GTK+ is primarily a toolkit intended for use by Gnome, with support for third-party apps being a relatively minor secondary goal, that doesn't matter as much since Gnome can just put any widget they want into GTK+. But that makes this particular issue strange, since nautilus is a Gnome app, so you would think if this was something valued then it would end up in GTK+.

Comment

According to the bugreport that limitation was overcome in GTK 2.10, in 2006.

Comment

... nobody (of the users) cares enough (to act)... (e.g. raise founds to hire someone to implement it)
                  GNOME developers are not enough? But they care to strip features from Files (manager) formerly known as Nautilus.

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                  Well, Thunar, PCmanFM based on GTK+ have this implementation.

Comment

Working...
                  X