The GNOME Foundation Is Running Short On Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you guys talking about anyway?

The Gnome Shell is an amazing desktop, and so is Mate, Cinnamon, Unity etc.
    We should all donate to the code, or the community at least.

Comment

Usally I'm a KDE guy but GNOME helps and drives many software that is used by KDE and co too.

Comment

I find it funny that pretty much no one here remembers that the GNOME Foundation is actually a sock puppet created by HP and Sun to wrestle away Gnome from the FSF because Gnome used to be a GNU project (on paper it still is).

Gnome could simply rejoin the FSF and the GNU project.

Originally posted by alazar View Post
        Headerbars? Fuck everything, I'll use elementaryOs, I somehow hope they could throw away that headerbar shit
        LOL, no. Elementary LOVES those stupid header bars: http://elementaryos.org/journal/the-...-of-headerbars

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
          That's the key concept. For the very reason that they are not deficient yet still do not consider to become programmers:
          Why should they? There are significantly fewer male nurses than female nurses, but no one says that's a problem or the result of some sinister effort of discrimination that must be corrected through "outreach" programs for men. That kind of special treatment is demeaning. If there were any barriers to entry I'd be arguing for them to come down but treating women differently here when there aren't any implies that they need more help than men to do the same job. (ie. that they are less capable)

Just as a thought experiment, what would your opinion be of a program that gave financial incentives to hispanics to encourage them to develop software? Doesn't that sound weird?

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
          You don't need to be deficient to be discriminated or influenced by society (which doesn't prevent deficient people from being discriminated...)
          Oh, women are discriminated against in the tech field? In what way? I see tons of programs and initiatives that provide support and encourage women to work in tech and employers specifically interested in hiring women, but I have not yet seen any evidence of someone being turned down for a tech job due to their gender.

Even with all the promotion, the gap between genders in this field is increasing. As usual I don't expect people to recognize the obvious anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
            If there were any barriers to entry I'd be arguing for them to come down but treating women differently here when there aren't any implies that they need more help than men to do the same job. (ie. that they are less capable) .
            If you don't think there are barriers to entry you simply have not been paying attention.

Comment

Or just consider the tone in this thread, and think about what attitudes towards women are currently being broadcast.
              The problem is not people being "turned down"/not employed because of gender. The problem is that there is (again looking at this thread) quite obviously a culture that does not really welcome women in the first place.

As for the "there are other places where men are not as present!" (nurses, etc). That is quite possibly true. But I don't see why that should stop the industry that *we* are in to try to rectify the gender inbalance.

Comment

Why should they? There are significantly fewer male nurses than female nurses, but no one says that's a problem or the result of some sinister effort of discrimination that must be corrected through "outreach" programs for men. That kind of special treatment is demeaning. If there were any barriers to entry I'd be arguing for them to come down but treating women differently here when there aren't any implies that they need more help than men to do the same job. (ie. that they are less capable)

Just as a thought experiment, what would your opinion be of a program that gave financial incentives to hispanics to encourage them to develop software? Doesn't that sound weird?
                There is no shortage of nurses. This is about "not missing talents", so it only apply for skilled jobs.
                And this not about incentive for doing the job all career long, these are incentive programs for joining the industry. You know, with the focus on internships and all that. This is for reaching to women. Not helping them do the job, helping them go do the job.

And yes, this applies to any group of people that has unused talents. It could apply to hispanics or what not, but ethnicity is a poor marker of this kind of behavior: usually, it's belonging to a certain culture that counts, and these are more effectively explained by social level and where you live, so that most similar efforts focus on poorer populations and specific locations instead.

Really when you have half of your potential recruitment pool that has similar education, similar capabilities, similar satisfaction in the job, yet 10 times lower enrollment, it's just plain stupid not trying to get more of them.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                  There is no shortage of nurses. This is about "not missing talents", so it only apply for skilled jobs.
                  And this not about incentive for doing the job all career long, these are incentive programs for joining the industry. You know, with the focus on internships and all that. This is for reaching to women. Not helping them do the job, helping them go do the job.

And yes, this applies to any group of people that has unused talents. It could apply to hispanics or what not, but ethnicity is a poor marker of this kind of behavior: usually, it's belonging to a certain culture that counts, and these are more effectively explained by social level and where you live, so that most similar efforts focus on poorer populations and specific locations instead.

Really when you have half of your potential recruitment pool that has similar education, similar capabilities, similar satisfaction in the job, yet 10 times lower enrollment, it's just plain stupid not trying to get more of them.
                  There is a huge shortage of nurses. Its a national health issue. They are offering $5k to $10k signing bonuses for new nurses some places. I don't see that in Software Engineering. I was looking for a job 2 years ago and what I saw was they wouldn't even want to talk to you unless you have 5 years experience in specific type of software they write and the tools they use. The "software engineering shortage" is a myth perpetrated by large tech companies so they can get more work visas and pay less to people on work visas and treat them like crap because otherwise they have to leave the country.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_ludkips View Post
                    You clearly don't know what social justice is if you're equivocating it with free software.
                    Is that the best nonsense you can come up with?

*Yawn*

Comment

Why should they? There are significantly fewer male nurses than female nurses, but no one says that's a problem or the result of some sinister effort of discrimination that must be corrected through "outreach" programs for men.
                      Actually...

Digital Journal is a digital media news network with thousands of Digital Journalists in 200 countries around the world. Join us!

Took me all of 15 seconds to DDG that, and that article is from 2003 so over 10 years ago, so that means the problem has been acknowledged for at least over 10 years now, and outreach programs have been implemented in attempts to correct it.

Comment

Working...
                      X