The GNOME Foundation Is Running Short On Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    I personally find it pretty weird that in 2014 there needs to be a code of conduct how to cooperate with female developers, especially in open source communities. Do we need the same about religion, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, ..., or is this only a gender problem?
    It's probably not limited to gender only (there is a stereotype about asians being really good at math, for example). If some other minority steps up and proclaims that they are being harassed and/or treated unfairly, then I think that problem should be handled as well.

Thing is: we know that gender is a problem, and we should try to work towards solving it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
      To boot out the offenders, you need first to tell everyone that molesting female developers is bad, to bring awareness about the issue of machismo. After that, you will be able to assemble a group and kick out any sexual offenders you find in a FOSS developing context, by yourself. An OPW can help a lot with that.
      I think you should go Redmond and apply for a job there. It is the responsibility of the court to give punishments, and what is given in the court is the punishment. You have absolutely no rights to begin to banish people away of Free Software movement, much less with that kind of vague umbrella term as "sexual offender". If there is a sexual offender, then report her to the police and let the system do its job.

Free Software movement does not need you to start up any "cleansing". Please go check http://careers.microsoft.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by moilami View Post
        I think you should go Redmond and apply for a job there. It is the responsibility of the court to give punishments, and what is given in the court is the punishment. You have absolutely no rights to begin to banish people away of Free Software movement, much less with that kind of vague umbrella term as "sexual offender". If there is a sexual offender, then report her to the police and let the system do its job.

Free Software movement does not need you to start up any "cleansing". Please go check http://careers.microsoft.com/
        Courts are one thing and socially accepted behavior is another. You should know that.

Comment

• Originally posted by dee. View Post
          Males are the best judges of whether something is sexist or not.

Heterosexuals are the best judges whether something is oppressive to LGBT people or not.

White people are the best judges of whether something is racist or not.

White heterosexual upper-middle-class males who have been mollycoddled all their lives by their upper-middle-class mommies, been given trophies for every single thing they do and everything paid for them from education to cars and apartments, who have never had to really struggle for anything, apparently are the best judges of whether outreach programs for minority groups are necessary or not.
          You're racist as fuck.

Comment

• Originally posted by grndzro View Post
            There are no Pro's to a fragmented linux userbase....none.
            All those mom and pop Distro's does nothing for Linux
            Umm if it wasn't for those mom and pop Linux disros many of us would not be using Linux in the first place. They also keep Linux fun while Ubuntu, Fedroa, Mint, Arch and openSuSE bore the fuck out of me with their systemd, Gnome, PulseAudio, PAM. Accept it or die bullshit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
              Umm if it wasn't for those mom and pop Linux disros many of us would not be using Linux in the first place. They also keep Linux fun while Ubuntu, Fedroa, Mint, Arch and openSuSE bore the fuck out of me with their systemd, Gnome, PulseAudio, PAM. Accept it or die bullshit.
              I'm sorry if you feel that way. You are part of the reason Linux is not a dominant OS.

systemd can be changed
              Gnome can be changed
              Pulseaudio can be changed
              PAM.........really? you have a problem with PAM?

For example
              Mint has 9 versions. If it was 10x as popular there would also be more versions and packages and maintainers and programers working within one distro. More options to satisfy everyone.
              This would lead to a better Distro
              Which would lead to more support from companies.

The distro fragmentation that you feel is a good thing has done nothing for Linux.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                You're racist as fuck.
                He's not being racist, he's being ironic and sarcastic :P

Comment

• Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                  I'm sorry if you feel that way. You are part of the reason Linux is not a dominant OS.

systemd can be changed
                  Gnome can be changed
                  Pulseaudio can be changed
                  PAM.........really? you have a problem with PAM?

For example
                  Mint has 9 versions. If it was 10x as popular there would also be more versions and packages and maintainers and programers working within one distro. More options to satisfy everyone.
                  This would lead to a better Distro
                  Which would lead to more support from companies.

The distro fragmentation that you feel is a good thing has done nothing for Linux.
                  And of course the one distro that anyone should use should be one that you like, am I right? How about making Slackware or Gentoo the default?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                    And of course the one distro that anyone should use should be one that you like, am I right? How about making Slackware or Gentoo the default?
                    Nope. I use Manjaro. Mint was only an example. And a good one IMO. I do like what they have done with Mint though.

Comment

• Slackware and Gentoo. IDC what the community gets behind. They are both decent Distros. As long as the community comes together mainly behind one distro that has good managment and community values it will be a huge benefit to the continued improvment of Linux.

We need one distro that combines all the little things that people want into a package that they can easily tailor to their needs.

We need collaboration between package maintainers in one distro. Not collaboration between distro's. Having all these Distro's leads to conflicts and split resources and talent that should be used toward improving and adapting a version of a much more popular distro.

For Example what does Logitech see when it looks at Linux. It sees 200 different Distro's with an absurd anount of package variables. They throw their hands up in defeat before they even start.

Comment

Working...
                      X