The GNOME Foundation Is Running Short On Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    You already have that one distribution with Ubuntu LTS.
    It provides the majority of what people want and the community is practically behind it whether they admit it or not.
    This site and all the major players in the Linux world back it. NVidia tests against it. The Linux Steam client was developed on it.

Logitech only has to provide specifications to the maintainers of the mice and keyboard drivers in the Linux kernel development for their latest products.

There is software to convert between the different packages; for example, alien.

People ask for a miracle, but they are quick to dismiss anything resembling one.

But you seriously don't want to have just one distribution. You need things to fall back on when corruption and complacency kill innovation.
    It only takes one bad choice by a distribution maintainer to drive away their users. At this point, who isn't guilty? They're all dirty with Gnome3 and Kde4.

I just wish the Flat look would die out already.
    Yea but at least KDE is supporting Wayland. MATE as well. Wayland will improve the entire development process, And KDE at least shows signifigant improvement from version to version without alienating it's userbase.

Comment

• Ubuntu all boils down to weather or not AMD/Nvidia/Intel support it.

AMD is working on getting it's proprietary drivers rolled into the open source kernel stack. Will work with anything using the open source paths.

Nvidia states it is working on both Wayland and Mir.

Intel rejects Mir and is working on Wayland drivers.

Ubuntu's Mir IMO has a steep hill to climb without the support of Intel.

Comment

• Originally posted by grndzro View Post
        Yea but at least KDE is supporting Wayland. MATE as well. Wayland will improve the entire development process,
        I heard Wayland will end hunger and bring world peace, too.

Comment

• As someone who got into programming at 11, got a degree and now does it professionally it warms my heart to know that not only will I be discriminated against for a job based on my gender, my qualifications will be completely ignored and the person who gets the job will be so unqualified they will need training...

Nice profession we had once...

Comment

• Originally posted by ParticleBoard View Post
            As someone who got into programming at 11, got a degree and now does it professionally it warms my heart to know that not only will I be discriminated against for a job based on my gender, my qualifications will be completely ignored and the person who gets the job will be so unqualified they will need training...

Nice profession we had once...
            You will only be discriminated against if you permit it. If it happens - i.e. someone verbalizes it, you must confront right away, even if it costs you your job.

This is how you "end" (or diminish, since I don't think anything ends finally and permanently) discrimination.

Comment

• This is what happens when you apply certain aspects of cultural marxism on software development and its foundation. GNOME foundation had it coming and it was expected. Instead listening and supporting its large user base (GNOME forum is removed, GNOME 2 themes, backgrounds also removed from GNOME webpage etc.) they behaved like autistic children, not to mention striping feautures from some applications, like Nautilus, now retardedly renamed to "Files".
              Btw. I don't have problem with GNOME 3, there are extensions which makes GNOME 3 like GNOME 2.
              Visually, I never liked KDE 3 or 4, only some distros made it looking right, like original Pardus Linux (not current, based on Debian), and KDEmod for Arch Linux, but KDE developers are listening their users unlike GNOME developers.

Originally posted by quasipedia View Post
              I think you are confused. What you want is probably to support "open source", not "free software". It is a known fact that free software activists (first among them RMS) consider free software a social movement standing for a given set of ethical and social values.

Open source is a development methodology; free software is a social movement. This is precisely the defining difference between the two. From then GNU website:
              You need reality check. Software development is not social movement. Aplying social politics, affirmative action/positive discrimination instead of meritocracy in software development, putting non-technical ("advocate" of FOSS, btw. Steve Jobs is exception that proves the rule) person as CEO and not listening its users is destined to doom. Situation with GNOME foundation proves it.

Originally posted by quasipedia
              The political agenda against free software of this blog being known, I am not surprised by the tone of most comment here. I'm sorry for so few people standing for free software, but I don't think there's anything inherently bad with their feeling (reading them doesn't affect my level of "hope")... we are still better off with open source enthusiasts disagreeing with us but making free software more visible than being alone.
              Their primary mission is support of desktop envinronment developing for fsck sake, they are not Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation or whatnot, there are many "social movement" foundations which are there to provide funds for their mission.

Originally posted by quasipedia
              I am very happy they follow their vision rather than conforming to users' wishes
              Not conforming to user wishes and suggestions will make them lose its "Friends of GNOME" and turn their user base and support (money, among other things) to other DE's and WM's like Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, LXDE.
              Clearly they are not doing something right when you have so many forks and modifications of GNOME 3, e.g Cinnamon, Unity, and MATE as fork of GNOME 2.

The GNOME Foundation is the lead organization for the Outreach Program for Women (OPW)
              I could have spared you tons of money. Women/females are not interested into software developing as men/males are. This is not result of sexism, patriarchy and whatnot feminist and libtard name calling crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User
                Then what is the purpose of Gnome Foundation?
                Supporting GNOME DE developing, not social engineering liberal and feminist political agenda.

Originally posted by Vim_User
                Women are treated badly* in foss(and in IT, geek) culture as a whole
                This is classic, victim mentality.

Originally posted by Vim_User
                some groups need a helping hand to get into it(or IT as a whole).
                What "groups"? Stop with victim mentality and making people look retarded by saying: "need a helping hand".

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                So you are saying it is totally OK for the Gnome Foundation to run out of money, as long as they spent their money on OPWs?
                Yes. They are doing it wrong.

How do you expect them to finance OPWs in the future when being bankrupt?
                By asking Larry Ellison for money.

*If you say they aren't, you are delusional. Doesn't believe? Then count how many rape threats you have received for being a developer.

Comment

• I hope Gnome is finally going down. Would feel great to see this abomination crash and burn.

Comment

• Originally posted by fanATic View Post
                    Supporting GNOME DE developing, not social engineering liberal and feminist political agenda.

This is classic, victim mentality.

What "groups"? Stop with victim mentality and making people look retarded by saying: "need a helping hand".

Yes. They are doing it wrong.

By asking Larry Ellison for money.

Learn quoting. Half of the quotes in that post aren't from me.

Comment

• Originally posted by lolnope View Post
                      Guys this is not about whether KDE or Gnome is better or how unusable gnome is. A free software project out there is in need of funds and we need to save it
                      I think I'll donate 25% of my salary to gnome when I get a job next month
                      One of the most ridiculous comment read on this forum.
                      Gnome is the last project who deserves to be saved. The openly ignored any feedback from their users.
                      As you may have seen, the Phoronix site is hosting a private survey about GNOME. The survey still has several weeks to run, but, so far, neither th...

If they fail, it will be good for the community, imo, but in any case it won't be a sad day for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X