The GNOME Foundation Is Running Short On Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    And how, exactly, is encouraging as many developers as possible to contribute "not connected with primary mission" [sic]? If there is a big pool of talented developers that aren't contributing because people have convinced them they aren't welcome, how is it not in the best interests of Gnome (or any other free software community) to rectify that?
    Red herring.
    Everyone is welcome to contribute to FOSS.

It is stupid to make distinction between male or female software developer because it is irrelevant, only what matters in software development is somebody's skills.

Everything else is feminist wishful thinking, appeal to emotion, social engineering and distortion of reality.

As I said previously, in this day and age, people could contribute (git, CVS etc.) to open/free software developing from their homes without physical presence if there is problem for them in social interactions with other people etc.
    I know that feminists can't comprehend why there are not many females in software development, but that is their problem to cope with. Software development depend on meritocracy not cultural marxism, affirmative action, quotas, and other liberal crap. If you try to apply aforementioned crap in software development it is destined to doom.

By the way:

If you are interested in joining the Debian project, there are many things you can do: you can be a Debian developer, maintainer, documenter or translator, or help us by testing and reporting bugs. If you are not yet sure how to get started, maybe our Mentoring Program is something for you. You are also very welcome to join our own project! There are a lot of ways how to get involved. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or comments!
    ---------------------------

Originally posted by TheBlackCat
    How quickly people forget. Or maybe you weren't around during the KDE 4.0 launch, when Gnome users were trashing KDE right, left, and center for their handling of the release.
    Including KDE 3 users. GNOME 3 was stable unlike KDE 4 in beginning. And now, from time to time i get "The KDE Crash Handler" dialog but that is another story.

Comment

• Originally posted by fanATic View Post
      "Stuckup minds"? Nice argument. What were broken? User Interface desktop paradigm, HIG? Two panels vs Tablet UI for use on desktop.
      Reading that thing over and over again in the internets is seriously pissing me off because it's complete bullshit. Just stop. GNOME is lightyears ahead competition when it comes to keyboard-only navigation. That ridiculous claim that GNOME has tablet UI is like saying Emacs was made for smartphones because it has big friendly context aware buttons in X...
      Last edited by daedaluz; 02 May 2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Red herring.

It is stupid to make distinction between male or female software developer because it is irrelevant, only what matters in software development is somebody's skills.
        Bullshit.
        Silicon Valley entrepreneur Vivek Wadhwa discovers that the famed "meritocracy" of Silicon Valley is a myth and that women are systematically discriminated against there, despite the fact that they're more productive, on average, than their male counterparts. He has a plan to change the Valley. Paul Solman: Silicon Valley entrepreneur Vivek Wadhwa is a widely heard voice on the value of immigration for the U.S. economy. We first featured him a year ago in "Man

The breathtaking lack of women in the tech industry has a real effect on one of America's most important economic and innovation engines. Join our running conversation on the cultural changes at play and what to do about it.

Originally posted by fanATic View Post
        Red herring.
        Everything else is feminist wishful thinking, appeal to emotion, social engineering and distortion of reality.
        Be so nice and prove it, because from what I saw it's actually Your fantasy.

As I said previously, in this day and age, people could contribute (git, CVS etc.) to open/free software developing from their homes without physical presence if there is problem for them in social interactions with other people etc.
        I'm sorry, but I don't think that problems copping with harassment falls under "problem for them in social interactions"
        Or in fact other shitty things that await women in IT.

I know that feminists can't comprehend why there are not many females in software development, but that is their problem to cope with. Software development depend on meritocracy not cultural marxism, affirmative action, quotas, and other liberal crap. If you try to apply aforementioned crap in software development it is destined to doom.

By the way:
        You use words which meaning is a mystery to You. Get Yourself educated, mister "cultural marxism". Is it Your fabled meritocracy in action?

Btw. Bullshit.
        Silicon Valley entrepreneur Vivek Wadhwa discovers that the famed "meritocracy" of Silicon Valley is a myth and that women are systematically discriminated against there, despite the fact that they're more productive, on average, than their male counterparts. He has a plan to change the Valley. Paul Solman: Silicon Valley entrepreneur Vivek Wadhwa is a widely heard voice on the value of immigration for the U.S. economy. We first featured him a year ago in "Man

The breathtaking lack of women in the tech industry has a real effect on one of America's most important economic and innovation engines. Join our running conversation on the cultural changes at play and what to do about it.
        RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

It is stupid not to make distinction between male or female software developers based on the wishful thinking that the only relevant factor at play would be their skills. Those are only a fraction of what affect the way people consider developers and relate to them, their gender usually playing a larger role without no rational or ethical justification for it.

Comment

Yes, but women are often treated as though they are not welcome.

Yes, that would be nice if it was the case. But the thing you keep ignoring is that it isn't the case. Identical CVs or applications are judged as lower if they have a woman's name on it compared to if they have a man's name on it. Woman are chosen for speaker positions at conference at a much lower rate than their overall presence in the community. Sexual harassment against women has been a serious problem at conferences, but women who have spoken out against it have resulted in far more harassment online, even being fired.

You are arguing that because in your ideal fantasy world gender isn't an issue, people living in the real world shouldn't try to address the real problems that exist. That's just stupid. Yes, your fantasy world is the end goal, but it is still just a fantasy, and as long as people like you are trying to prevent progress it will remain a fantasy.

Comment

• funny, i have a friend who works at one huge IT company
              she never complained to me about having it tough or being harassed
              i'l ask her anyway next time

bdw she started because she likes it, no one helped her
              Last edited by gens; 03 May 2014, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gens View Post
                funny, i have a friend who works at one huge IT company

bdw she started because she likes it, no one helped her
                And this one example takes away all the experiences of other people who have been discriminated against, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by gens View Post
                  funny, i have a friend who works at one huge IT company
                  Oh, of course, if one person hasn't had a problem, that means nobody does and we can just ignore it. You apply this sort of logic to a lot of things, don't you?

Also, there is a difference between "one huge IT company", which tend to have pretty strict sexual harassment policies, compared to an open community composed mostly of volunteers. Also, you might want to ask if this company is an equal-opportunity employer.
                  Last edited by TheBlackCat; 03 May 2014, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by daedaluz View Post
                    Reading that thing over and over again in the internets is seriously pissing me off because it's complete bullshit. Just stop. GNOME is lightyears ahead competition when it comes to keyboard-only navigation. That ridiculous claim that GNOME has tablet UI is like saying Emacs was made for smartphones because it has big friendly context aware buttons in X...
                    One word, WIMP. GNOME Shell is not practical for desktop use in its default form, window-centric vs task-centric approach... GNOME 3 was designed with touch interface in mind unlike its predecessors. But, to each his own.
                    With couple extensions like "Applications menu", "Places status indicator", "Window list" etc. it is usable for desktop use.

Originally posted by sobkas
                    Bullshit.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechcons...-in-technology
                    So much stupidity in such small space that it is beyond imaginable.

"Privilege", "institutional sexism" and the usual suspects: "white male", they failed to mention "Christian" and "heterosexual"..., typical moronic liberal and feminist catchphrases repeated in public talk ad nauseam, does not compute.

Women are becoming more confident and assertive, and they are helping each other. Men are also beginning to mentor and coach women.
                    How is this connected with "privilege" and "institutional sexism"?

Originally posted by Vivek Wadhwa
                    This was before I moved to the Valley and my wife pointed out something strange: that practically all of the people at Silicon Valley’s big networking events were male. They were mostly white, Indian, or Chinese. Women, blacks and Hispanics were nowhere to be found.
                    Hey buddy, what is situation in Bangalore concerning male and female ratio in software development? First, look in your backyard.

Be so nice and prove it, because from what I saw it's actually Your fantasy.
                    Prove that woman are not welcome in software development. Articles are not prove.
                    Hell, all articles you put here are in contradiction with themselves.

You use words which meaning is a mystery to You. Get Yourself educated, mister "cultural marxism". Is it Your fabled meritocracy in action?
                    Let's see:
                    the few women whom you find there are in either marketing or human resources.
                    No shit Sherlock, women rather choose (if they have this freedom and they have in western countries, unlike other countries where is some kind of dicsrimination or different culture) jobs with social interactions than software developing.
                    Excerpt from "Equality paradox" documentary:
                    More you free people in society, more you open opportunities to people to do anything they want, the more likely it is that any kind of genetic predispositions they have will be able to express themselves.
                    In "gender" equality countries like Norway, you are free to follow your inclinations, in poor countries you worry to get a job, you just want a job, and if computers are gonna get you a job in India e.g. you'll go for it even if you're a woman.
                    In "gender" egalitarian countries like North America, Europe, people are free to pursue in what they are truly interested in.
                    I rest my case.

Yes, but women are often treated as though they are not welcome.
                    Where? That is your perception.

You are arguing that because in your ideal fantasy world gender isn't an issue, people living in the real world shouldn't try to address the real problems that exist. That's just stupid. Yes, your fantasy world is the end goal, but it is still just a fantasy, and as long as people like you are trying to prevent progress it will remain a fantasy.
                    In western world, civilization, you name it, "gender" (sex) is not an issue. Stop with victim mentality. What "progress"? Are you trying to invert biological differences between sexes? Newsflash for you, male and female will never be equal. Equal opportunities, yes, but they will never be equal. Male and female think differently, this is biological fact.
                    What friggin "progress"? Putting someone less qualified or skilled just for the sake of it? Let me tell you something, if software development or any other technical and natural science field for that matter would be led like social science, it would and will be chaos.
                    Last edited by fanATic; 03 May 2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

In western world, civilization, you name it, "gender" (sex) is not an issue. Stop with victim mentality. What "progress"? Are you trying to invert biological differences between sexes? Newsflash for you, male and female will never be equal. Equal opportunities, yes, but they will never be equal. Male and female think differently, this is biological fact.
                      What friggin "progress"? Putting someone less qualified or skilled just for the sake of it? Let me tell you something, if software development or any other tecnical and natural science field for that matter would be led like social science, it would and will be chaos.
                      Next time, actually try reading my post instead of responding to some imaginary post I didn't make. I provided specific examples of real, verified problems. You just completely ignored them, then posted more of your fantasy that is directly contradicted by the facts. You simply have no clue whatsoever what you are talking about. In the real world, as I already showed, the opprtunities simply are not equal, and to pretend otherwise is to live in a fantasy world.

But thanks for proving that you are part of the problem. In the end, no matter how much you scream about equality, in the end you always admit that you simply think women are inherently inferior in whatever subject you are talking about.
                      Last edited by TheBlackCat; 03 May 2014, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X