No announcement yet.

The GNOME Foundation Is Running Short On Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe this is time to question the whole Gnome philosophy. I don't feel the Open source fundamentalist approach has really worked. We've ended up with Google being the biggest user of Linux. While we don't want the BSD situation where Apple rips off BSD work to create an operating system of its own. I think open source operating systems should be open to being used for commercial applications. To me this rather parallels the rise of clang over GCC.

Comment

Typically when money runs low the managers will empty the banks and spend it on things like black-jack and hookers while they still can.
      Seems opensource manager arent that different - I give them some probs for using polical correct wording though

Comment

becoming friend of Gnome?

How can a user be a friend of gnome, when they devs has decided to stick to the most hated shell UI against all the user wishes and media hate?
        I have had the worst experiences in gnome bugzilla. The dev doesn't want to hear your side of the arguement and makes design choices by his own will and at the same time dropping all the feautres a user begs to retain.
        I would rather donate my money to MATE/Cinnamon devs who listens to users.

Comment

Originally posted by lolnope View Post
          A free software project out there is in need of funds and we need to save it
          So we need to support any project, just because it is open source? I don't think so. I will only support software that I use or if I think the goals of that project is something I appreciate. For me that is not the case with Gnome. They cooked their soup, now they have to eat it.

Comment

Guys this is not about whether KDE or Gnome is better or how unusable gnome is. A free software project out there is in need of funds and we need to save it
            I think I'll donate 25% of my salary to gnome when I get a job next month
            actually, it is spot on. if you want public funding, then listen to the public what public wants. funding free software with egotrip mantra "we know what you need better than you do" as its driving force is not any different than buying proprietary. in both cases community is ignored and you can't influence the direction. you get warranty with proprietary though

Comment

lolnope: your attitude (and not only your money) is what keeps me hopeful.

The other people posting here that they won't donate to GNOME because they don't like the style of its default shell... don't give me much hope.

We're all here fighting for free (libre) software. This means that -- incredibly! -- you actually really, really want your "enemy" to succeed! Weird, huh?

I think KDE is the worst desktop experience in the universe, but I'm going to donate some money to them right now, because freedom.

But freedom needs to be extended into many corners. GNOME's outreach to women is unbelievably crucial. They'll get an extra donation from me just for that.

(For the record, I'm not a fan of the GNOME shell, thought I'm a big fan of other projects managed by the GNOME foundation.)

Comment

Becoming friends...

They don't have money, they don't have users but they have ideas, so everything should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                  We're all here fighting for free (libre) software. This means that -- incredibly! -- you actually really, really want your "enemy" to succeed! Weird, huh?
                  enemy? so, KDE, enlightenment... are enemies?

strange, when i try running any gnome app anywhere else, i'm missing whole appmenu, not to mention completely break usage defaults since everything is reinvented. like confirmation buttons are now on 3 different sides, scrollbars in gnome work differently than scrollbars elsewhere, menu buttons which don't make sense... list goes on and on, but it can be described as useless

when i try running my cross platform apps, they integrate pretty well everywhere except in gnome (even if i run gtk based ones) where they look completely out of place. same goes for more or less all non-gnome apps

weird, huh? when most apps from linux run more natively on windows than they do on gnome and gnome apps don't work elsewhere without faults, you really have to wonder who enemy is

Originally posted by rafirafi View Post
                  They don't have money, they don't have users but they have ideas, so everything should be fine.
                  this should definitelly become new meme, lol. so sad, but so true

Comment

Guys this is not about whether KDE or Gnome is better or how unusable gnome is. A free software project out there is in need of funds and we need to save it
                    I think I'll donate 25% of my salary to gnome when I get a job next month
                    While I love free software, I'm afraid it's best if we hold off.

I will be refraining from donating until GNOME:

A) Renounce these social justice campaigns as peripheral and unnecessary
                    B) Promise to not hijack the organization for peripheral and unnecessary endeavors in future

I want to support free software, not social justice politics.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                      GNOME's outreach to women is unbelievably crucial.
                      Explain why.

There is literally nothing stopping most women from participating in FOSS, and no matter how much of other people's money you throw at it, those who don't want to participate will not.

Comment

Working...
                      X