No announcement yet.

The GNOME Foundation Is Running Short On Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not know they have been caught with that unequality and double standards propaganda system. To say "gender does not matter", while making benefits for just one gender, is ridiculous beyond reason.

I have to say I am very disappointed at Gnome Foundation, yet extremely happy they haven't wasted my money to support unequality of genders.

I say I am sorry but hope your outreach program now reaches those you tried to reach, and they give you something back, though, I don't hold my breath waiting for it, hence, lets hope some good meat eating hetero white males save your asses.

In my opinion funds should go to them who work the most for the project. If money is the only way to get some interested of a project, then that money is certainly best used by giving it to them who work the most for the project. They deserve that money.

I am sorry to conclude that if I ever see a project where gender matters, then I surely wont donate any money for it, and I will consider should I take actions in observing is it better to stay far away of that project. I liked Gnome and considered it as the best desktop, but now I think I will have to check a few alternatives untill it is a fact that gender does not but skills do matter at Gnome Foundation.
    Last edited by moilami; 14 April 2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

It doesn't matter at all if outreach programs work or if they are justified. It is actually totally missing the point: Gnome Foundation runs out of money while financing non-essential programs.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
        I did not know they have been caught with that unequality and double standards propaganda system. To say "gender does not matter", while making benefits for just one gender, is ridiculous beyond reason.
        Yes, how dare they try to convince women that they are actually welcome in the community. /sarcasm

Comment

Gnome foundation running short on money?

Must be the license and/or no one uses it and/or <insert a troll reason for OpenBSD foundation running short on money>

No but seriously, that's a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            Yes, how dare they try to convince women that they are actually welcome in the community. /sarcasm
            They should dare do it by just making a web page saying they believe it is skills and not gender what matter. More questions, captain obvious?

Meanwhile I did read this: https://gnome.org/opw/

Application process is now open for the new round of the Outreach Program for Women internships. The application deadline for the majority of the participating organizations was March 19, 2014, but some organizations are accepting applications through March 31. Internship dates are May 19 to August 18. Coding, design, documentation and other projects are available. The applicants are asked to select a project with one of the participating organizations and collaborate with a mentor listed for that project to make a relevant contribution to the project during the application process. Detailed information about the background for the program, requirements for participants, how to select a project, and how to make a contribution is available.

Applicants who are students interested in coding projects are encouraged to apply for Google Summer of Code as well. The administrators of both programs will coordinate to accept the top applicants for one of the programs.

In both programs, the accepted participants work remotely, while being guided by their mentor, and receive $5,500 stipend. It's expected that the participants are able to have the internship work be a primary focus during the internship dates and spend 40 hours a week on it.

Apply to participate!
            Participants
            Congratulations to the 30 interns who participated in the December 2013 - March 2014 round of the Outreach Program for Women!

So, they gave last time 30 unfair $5,500 "stipends" based on gender?

If so, then things surely has gone out of hand big time. The only thing I can say is should I install KDE, Fluxbox, Enlingtenment, GnuStep with WM, XFCE or what? Can't be more glad there is choise! Hooray for Free Software. BB Gnome.

Comment

This is the old battle of equality. Lets give more money to y who on average make less money than x. (Even though in this case x are usually the breadwinners so therefore need higher pay and if they are single they are forced to pay y based on how much they make and how much time is spent with the kids meaning that x has to work more because x spends less time with the kids because x was paying for everything and now has to pay more because x only spent so much time with the kids meaning x spends less time...)

If you want to worry about equality, pay people by how much they do, rather than them being female or male or whatever race.
              Last edited by profoundWHALE; 14 April 2014, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I think it would be a good idea to invent a combined race & gender called simply minority. One would be minority by just saying "me am are minority". I can't imagine what could be possibly more equal.

However, a minority would hold a power to say "me feel oppressed" of this and that, and then special benefits would have to be made in order to make things more "accessible" for the minority.

Comment

Rofl that minority & benefits is a great idea, even though I say it. A concept of It used to be in some games where you could give "compensation" benefits for the less skilled player. It worked good in a way to make the game harder for the better and easier for the worse player.

Anyway, that should be put, at first, into olympics. Or who can say with a honest straight face olympics aren't rascists, nationalist and opressive man boons?

So, new "accessible, outreaching, and fair" olympics is needed. Those who are not as fast as others will get benefit of starting running earlier than the betters or they would have to run less than betters. After that anyone could be a winner and so very special

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                    Rofl that minority & benefits is a great idea, even though I say it. A concept of It used to be in some games where you could give "compensation" benefits for the less skilled player. It worked good in a way to make the game harder for the better and easier for the worse player.

Anyway, that should be put, at first, into olympics. Or who can say with a honest straight face olympics aren't rascists, nationalist and opressive man boons?

So, new "accessible, outreaching, and fair" olympics is needed. Those who are not as fast as others will get benefit of starting running earlier than the betters or they would have to run less than betters. After that anyone could be a winner and so very special
                    Picked the wrong example, Olympics do work like that. If you are in a country that has a lower level in a sport, you have better chances of being selected to participate.
                    Remember the Olympic athletes that can barely swim? Or Rasta Rocket? Well, here is your outreaching.

Also, well, the first example was not that good either.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                      Oh, women are discriminated against in the tech field? In what way? I see tons of programs and initiatives that provide support and encourage women to work in tech and employers specifically interested in hiring women, but I have not yet seen any evidence of someone being turned down for a tech job due to their gender.

Even with all the promotion, the gap between genders in this field is increasing. As usual I don't expect people to recognize the obvious anytime soon.
                      I did not say this, I only said that your point, stating that women must be deficient if they need such a program, does not stand at all. But I don't expect you to recognize this obvious fact, anyway.

[Edit] Also, bringing the idea of deficiency in such a context could be seen as mostly sexist, but I won't bother someone who takes sarcasm for cynicism with such a concept.
                      Last edited by omer666; 14 April 2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X