Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Might Be Working On G-SYNC Linux Support

Default NVIDIA Might Be Working On G-SYNC Linux Support

Phoronix: NVIDIA Might Be Working On G-SYNC Linux Support

With this week's NVIDIA 337.12 Beta driver release that was exciting for bringing overclocking support for new GPUs and other features, it also looks like NVIDIA developers are working on G-SYNC Linux support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY2MTc

Kinda useless for most people given that you have to also buy a g-sync monitor. But glad to see increased feature parity with windows.

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxFaiT View Post
    Kinda useless for most people given that you have to also buy a g-sync monitor. But glad to see increased feature parity with windows.
    I'd rather buy an AMD FreeSync monitor, which was adopted by VESA for the DisplayPort standard.

I also suspected this when the release notes indicated support for a new extension, GLX_NV_delay_before_swap. The extension is apparently based on a Windows GL extension for reducing input latency. I'm not sure that it's related to G-Sync though since extensions are typically used by applications.

Awesome news, hope it makes it out before the first 1440p or higher Gsync monitors do.

Is it even possible with X.org? If so, what about in a multi-monitor scenario?

cool, next we need a better optimus implementation and geforce experience so we can stream to the nvidia shield.

Gsynced Gnome on Wayland Desktop? Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by elapsed View Post
    I'd rather buy an AMD FreeSync monitor, which was adopted by VESA for the DisplayPort standard.
    That only exists in laptops. There are no standalone monitors using that.

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/nvi..._freesync.html

Or was there an update on this?

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxFaiT View Post
    Sigh... So it would be better for them to wait some years, until more people have g-sync monitors that they can't use properly on linux to add the support? Isn't it better to support the feature *before* monitors hit the market?...

Quote Originally Posted by [Knuckles] View Post
    Sigh... So it would be better for them to wait some years, until more people have g-sync monitors that they can't use properly on linux to add the support? Isn't it better to support the feature *before* monitors hit the market?...
    I totally agree... this is great news for most people. I'm glad that NVIDIA is finally taking their Linux support seriously, the last thing we need now is naysayers and complainers whining about new features being implemented. I feel that people bitching about every move these companies make only holds us back & makes them less enthused about supporting Linux in the first place..