Need to save my files?..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to save my files?..

Hi everyone, I have a problem that I would like to share with you. I recently bought a hard disk and had formatted it on my friends system. The installation had no problems and I copied some software in that. But later I found that I could not read some of the files and without my knowing my friend formatted the disk. Now I have lost some important data and need to get back that in any case. Please do suggest some good tools which can help me get them back without much hassle.

Thanks in advance!!!

Originally posted by wilson4000 View Post
    Hi everyone, I have a problem that I would like to share with you. I recently bought a hard disk and had formatted it on my friends system. The installation had no problems and I copied some software in that. But later I found that I could not read some of the files and without my knowing my friend formatted the disk. Now I have lost some important data and need to get back that in any case. Please do suggest some good tools which can help me get them back without much hassle.

Thanks in advance!!!
    i haven't really understood what you need to recover?! the original files from a disk that has already been reformatted or the data from the new disk?!

Comment

What you can do is get scalpel or foremost. They go through and try to guess how the file is throughout the physical disc. If your friend did a full format, you're fscked.

Comment

Originally posted by Moustacha View Post
        What you can do is get scalpel or foremost. They go through and try to guess how the file is throughout the physical disc. If your friend did a full format, you're fscked.
        even a full format is recoverable with the rigt tools. of course many files need to be recovered via hex mode but some tools are able to recognize a unit that has been reformatted. or course the tools depends not only on the type of formatting, but also on how much data has been rewritten, where the data has been rewritten and what type of partition it was used before. if you've used a journaled filesystem you might have some more chance to recover formatted data after recovering the image of the partition. if you've used ntfs then you might just try out foremost and scalpel and if they don't find nothing try out easy recovery. but you need to remember not to rewrite data on the same disk you're doing stuff, but to write everything on another hard disk.
        now, if none of these programs say they can recover something then you need some very advanced stuff that isn't normally available to everyday users.

Comment

Working...
        X