AMD Athlon 5150 & Sempron 2650/3850 APUs On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    If turns out as good, this "contra-natura" combo could make a sub-500 (or even a sub-400) cheap SteamBox machine...
    It's the same general idea as the processors in modern consoles -- Jaguar CPU cores plus a big-ass GPU. The console chips have more CPU and GPU cores, but the balance is similar.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      It's the same general idea as the processors in modern consoles -- Jaguar CPU cores plus a big-ass GPU. The console chips have more CPU and GPU cores, but the balance is similar.

Never underestimate the power of the Jaguar...

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        Get a mobo with a DC power input...:
        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157491
        And that adapter probably has terrible efficiency and will be a PITA to replace should it fail. 180w PSU, if it's 80+ rated will still fall in to it's sweet spot. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plu...certifications

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
          This Antec case is effecitvely that. $60 with rebate, more than enough power for the use case.

Though I'd like to see a high efficiency low wattage Flex ATX PSU unit, and cases to utilize it. Silverstone is pushing SFX PSUs, for example. I'd like to see another company adopt the Flex market, since they are even smaller - SFX is great at 400-500w, Flex could go in the 200-300w range. It would also be nice to see an even smaller integrated PSU standard that is just a power brick in the enclosure, but that would probably require a smaller motherboard form factor that can depreciate the absurdly huge 20/4 pin cables.

$100 mobo / CPU + $30 ram + $50 SSD + $60 case / PSU = ~$250 with shipping / tax perfectly capable PC for anything but 3d, CAD, or compiling. Throw in a $15 Atheros NIC and its wireless, MSI has a $35 board with an mpcie slot.
          Seasonic has some nice TFX PSUs, but theres no cases that take them outside of the Dell and HP thin PCs. Kid of like how Dell was pretty much the only one pushing BTX systems.

Dell BTX = Hai gaise! Lets put the CPU at the front of the mobo and put the only case fan as the intake with a shrowd that pushes all of th air into the PSU heatsink which doesn't have it's own fan so that we can roast everything else in the case! That rear exhaust fan mount? Oh we'll just put a very restrictive piece of plastic mesh over it, I'm sure the 70% efficient at best 150w PSU with a super slow 80mm fan is more then enough exhaust airflow!"

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
            I have built an E350 box using an older version of the Antec case mentioned by @Zanny. The 60w external brick is very efficient. The same motherboard uses about 9w less at idle when using the brick versus a 380w 80Plus Bronze Antec Earthwatts. And the brick is silent.

@UID313's point is very true. We need efficient, silent and compact power supplies. When a whole system uses no more than 40w when driven to it's maximum then using a 380w power supply is just crazy. There are some DC power supplies around if you search. There is also an SFX 80Plus Bronze power supply by Silverstone, but I cannot see that being any more efficient than an Earthwatts - just smaller.

I look forward to building a 5350 box with an SSD at some point.
            Never forget to connect a real PSU if you add on a real GPU, the PCIe slot will write a 75w check which that brick PSU's ass wont be able to cash.

Comment

Tests like that are effing stupid, run them at the same settings so we have sme reasonable amount of trust that you didn't do something underhanded like turn up the performance killing settings like shadows and AA on one so that even at a lower resolution and lower everything else it still ran like crap.

Comment

Working...
              X