Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working Out "Serious Security Flaws" In DRM Drivers

Default Working Out "Serious Security Flaws" In DRM Drivers

Phoronix: Working Out "Serious Security Flaws" In DRM Drivers

While many are still busy working through fallout of the OpenSSL Heartbleed bug within organizations, on a separate but security related note, kernel developers specializing in the Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) graphics drivers are working to beef up their own driver security...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY2MTE

Wayland doesn't use DRM right?
    I mean, ofc it's going to have it's own set of security flaws among other bugs, but this giant mess that is "X.org security" won't affect those of us switching over when it's ready, right?

Wayland is using DRM.

Wailand uses DRM as well, DRI is the one specific to X. And I remember this security issues being also mentioned at the latest X.org conf, and they were supposed to be fixed, among other, by the switch to DRI3.

Quote Originally Posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Wayland doesn't use DRM right?
    I mean, ofc it's going to have it's own set of security flaws among other bugs, but this giant mess that is "X.org security" won't affect those of us switching over when it's ready, right?
    The whole DRM Master thing will affect Wayland, AFAIK. That being said, the split with Render Nodes may help that a little since its delegation of responsibilities. Wayland, however, is not affected by the mess of security issues that may be lurking in the 20+ yr old codebase that is Xorg. DRI3 + Present may have fixed a couple of these issues since now buffers are passed through DMA-BUF via file descriptors of a socket-- which is supposed to be more secure than however DRI2 handled it.

I remember in the good old days, flaws in the DRM drivers like not clearing graphics memory and having images appear on the screen at untimely moments. For example while mode switching, or shutting down/restarting that goatse pr0n image might appear

Quote Originally Posted by Grogan View Post
    I remember in the good old days, flaws in the DRM drivers like not clearing graphics memory and having images appear on the screen at untimely moments. For example while mode switching, or shutting down/restarting that goatse pr0n image might appear
    good 'ol times ?

in what brave new world are you living in ?

It's still like that

Luckily, not so much problem on single-user machines.

But hopefully Wayland is more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansla View Post
    Wailand uses DRM as well, DRI is the one specific to X. And I remember this security issues being also mentioned at the latest X.org conf, and they were supposed to be fixed, among other, by the switch to DRI3.
    a couple points to make before people get too alarmed (or at least to put this in context):

1) this is strictly about information leaks. Not root escalation, or anything like that... I think drm and the open src drivers are at quite likely better than the closed src drivers in that regard.

2) render-nodes and dri3 do address the guessability of other drm-master's buffers (which only effects shared buffers, ie. ones with flink names)

3) the remaining point that Thomas is trying to make is that, some hardware there may not be isolation between different processes gpu buffers, ie. $evil_userspace could conceivable craft gpu commands to read out all your VRAM/etc. Of the top of my head, I believe intel/radeon/nouveau all support per-process pagetables to stop that, but not sure if it is on all hw generations/etc.

If you are really paranoid, you probably want to consider not using a gpu at all (on windows or linux, opensrc drivers or (especially) closed src drivers).

None of this is really news.

Quote Originally Posted by LightBit View Post
    Wayland is using DRM.
    Wayland doesn't know squat about graphics; I think you're talking about Weston.