Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
    Have you tried it?

Before trying it I thought the same. However, after trying it I found it to be... well.. natural and intuitive.
    Things with learning curves upset people. Sad but thats the truth. People -average joes used to android/ios/etc- wont even bother after a few minutes. You'll hear an "Oh thats difficult" and they'll go back to what they are used to.

Those determined to get an Ubuntu phone are a totally different usecase.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      Things with learning curves upset people. Sad but thats the truth. People -average joes used to android/ios/etc- wont even bother after a few minutes. You'll hear an "Oh thats difficult" and they'll go back to what they are used to.

I keep hearing about these average joes and how everything is too hard for them but I've yet to see one.

My friend who you would think falls under this category asked me to lend her my laptop for a few days. I gave it to her but forgot to instruct her how to boot into windows 7 (dual boot between Ubuntu and windows 7). I was surprised when I went to her house and saw her using Ubuntu quite fine. She didn't have any prior experience with any operating system other than Windows XP and iOS.

Similarly, my girlfriend uses whichever operating I leave running and she uses it quite efficiently. This includes Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Windows 7, Windows 8 and PCBSD. She would also fall under the average jane category.

Even if these average joes do exist, there also exist many joes that are not average which these things might appeal to.

Most people are not as stupid as we technical folks sometime make them out to be.

These are the same people we attend school with, go to some of the same classes with, work with... Sure they might take some time to learn new things but that's not an insurmountable hurdle... it is not even a difficult one.

I wonder how anyone ever learned anything.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
        this is not the goal. the goal is, take this, put it in a dock and it transforms itself in a complete desktop, with libreoffice,full browser, etc...
        This will be cool in a couple of years.
        With 64-bit, octo-core, 4+ GB RAM, 128+ GB storage, etc.

Comment

It looks as easy as the Nokia N9 IMO. I used an N9 and it was pure pleasure and plain intuitiveness. As long as no UI idiom is hidden, anyone can find how to use it. For what I see in the video, Ubuntu Phone looks as easy as the N9. Surprisingly enough, the creators of the N9 complicated the interface of the Jolla Phone a lot.

The problem with the Ubuntu Phone will be the apps. Canonical either promote the phone among star app writers or it won't be more than a nice niche platform which Canonical won't be able to support forever.

Comment

When I tried Ubuntu Touch after using Android for 4 years I expected to miss
            the physical button as I'm so used to them. However after a minute, I didn't
            it just felt so intuitive and everything just worked. And after switching back
            to Android after 10 minutes (you can't do much with an operating system
            without apps) I tried to pull down indicators, tried to pull in the launcher,
            tried to switch apps using the right side swipe for several hours.

That is what I call good UI design. It doesn't need learning.

Comment

I want one so bad! We need Ubuntu to pave the way for other Linux phones.... I hope more will follow if Canonical is successful in their mission. Ubuntu haters, hold your tounge and let them do their thing. Would you rather have a world with ONLY Google and Mac? I wonder how many Ubuntu haters actually run Google's spy os on thier phone!

Comment

Working...
              X