Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.15 Picks Up New Notebook Support

Phoronix: Linux 3.15 Picks Up New Notebook Support

The x86 platform driver update was pulled today for the Linux 3.15 kernel, which includes new notebook support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I always hear how a lot of devs use Thinkpads. Where can you get them without the MS tax? I have to assume Lenovo is contributing something to the kernel / coreboot since their hardware is sometimes supported before launch.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      I always hear how a lot of devs use Thinkpads. Where can you get them without the MS tax? I have to assume Lenovo is contributing something to the kernel / coreboot since their hardware is sometimes supported before launch.
      Without the MS Tax? Ebay...? Frankly the new T440s is amazingly well priced for what you get, MS tax or not..
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        Without the MS Tax? Ebay...? Frankly the new T440s is amazingly well priced for what you get, MS tax or not..
        That thing is gorgeous and I was looking at it last year, but honestly I'd suffer a Galago Ultrapro's less stellar build and keyboard for Iris Pro and not giving Microsoft money.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
          That thing is gorgeous and I was looking at it last year, but honestly I'd suffer a Galago Ultrapro's less stellar build and keyboard for Iris Pro and not giving Microsoft money.
          Hey, to each their own. What sold me on the T440s was the keyboard, dual-batteries and MILSPEC
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
            You can even find T430's on ebay for cheap. I for one have a Lenovo SL510 that's a pretty decent performer and all the hardware worked out of the box from he get go.

Can't go wrong with Lenovo.

Comment

No MS tax in Lithuania

In Lithuania you can buy any computer from any shop without MS. It's declared by law, that vendors have to provide you with optional OS. Most people don't know that and just buy it with windows as it's mostly preinstalled, but if you demand computer with Linux or without any OS at all - you get it and the MS tax drops from the price.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                Can't go wrong with Lenovo.
                You can go wrong with any brand.

Comment

Originally posted by e?iukas View Post
                  In Lithuania you can buy any computer from any shop without MS. It's declared by law, that vendors have to provide you with optional OS. Most people don't know that and just buy it with windows as it's mostly preinstalled, but if you demand computer with Linux or without any OS at all - you get it and the MS tax drops from the price.
                  You used to be able to get acer to do a wipe and refund the mstax here (canada), I don't know if they still do.
                  Frankly, it should law EVERYWHERE, that computers ship without ANY operating system, and be fully compatible with whatever YOU CHOOSE.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    You used to be able to get acer to do a wipe and refund the mstax here (canada), I don't know if they still do.

Comment

Working...
                    X