Upgraded Kernel & Mesa Yield A Big Boost For Athlon R3 Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Is it just me, or do "Cube" cases ( Not little NUC's or NUC-likes. Those I like) rub other people the wrong way too? Whenever I see a rectangular prism / cube case I just think "NAS, not Desktop." But maybe thats just me. This is what I'm talking about: http://images.anandtech.com/doci/611...of%2010%29.jpg

Nice build by the way, AJSB. Perfect little mini desktop for tight areas or a mini-server, or someone who just likes a clean, minimal look.
    Here are two of them:

Although not released yet, here what the build looks like in Youtube (although not in English):

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
      This looks like the perfect place for a Noctua NH-C14 or similar, too bad that it's more than 3x the price of the EVO. For cheap I know the Gemin II S524. At least it wouldn't be a pain to install it
      Yeah I heard people raving about the Noctuas. They look high quality and seem to do their job well but the cost was the thing that stopped me since I was trying to keep it under $600. (At the time I bought the EVO the total price, even with discounts was $560)
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
        Here are two of them:

Although not released yet, here what the build looks like in Youtube (although not in English):
        http://youtu.be/cLsXV31bPh4?t=2m19s
        Yes, those are the cases I'm talking about. I can't like them. I just can't see the appeal as anything other than a NAS...

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielYYZ
          That fractal design case looks extremely efficient though. I would've agreed with you before seeing that case.
          Yeah, that FD Node 804 is actually pretty good as a gaming case. Keeps the hard drives out of the airflow of CPU and GPU.

Comment

I have this cube case:

Besides the fact that a dual fan thick rad will congest the 2.5" drive bay under the 5.25" one, its been pretty great. Got a 4770k and a 7870 (its a work machine with some late night Xonotic fun on radeonSI). Best part is you don't have to compromise (much) on the PSU, so I have a gold rated one.

But if you don't like the cube aesthetic, you are going to hard pressed to think of this as screaming anything but console:

I intend to build my brother a Steambox in either this case or one really similar to it next year, hopefully after Ubisoft starts bringing their catalog to Linux. I still want to see someone try a full blown water cooling setup in that thing (240mm dual fan rad in the gpu bay, cpu and 2.5" bracket mounted pump, gpu + cpu cooled) but it is also fine for a dual slot cooler GPU + low profile CPU cooler like the CNPS8900. It also has up to 3x 2.5" drives and a 3.5" one, so an ssd and storage disc easily fit.

Silverstones stuff is amazing though, I've been won over big time with some builds in the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              But if you don't like the cube aesthetic, you are going to hard pressed to think of this as screaming anything but console:

I intend to build my brother a Steambox in either this case or one really similar to it next year, hopefully after Ubisoft starts bringing their catalog to Linux. I still want to see someone try a full blown water cooling setup in that thing (240mm dual fan rad in the gpu bay, cpu and 2.5" bracket mounted pump, gpu + cpu cooled) but it is also fine for a dual slot cooler GPU + low profile CPU cooler like the CNPS8900. It also has up to 3x 2.5" drives and a 3.5" one, so an ssd and storage disc easily fit.

Silverstones stuff is amazing though, I've been won over big time with some builds in the last few years.
              Thanks for the idea haha! http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ericg92/saved/4kG0 >.> Yes it does scream Console..but thats okay. Its slim, its just there, would probably make an incredible Router / HTPC / Server machine. I just threw together some parts right there just to test it out and see what was compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                That results are much much better

Can't wait for the Catalyst tests

Michael, I also wonder what would be the results if you paired the Athlon 5350 with the...EVGA GTX750 using Nvidia Blob

There was a site that compared in Window$ a A6-5200 with a GTX680 vs a A10-7850K also with a GTX680 and let's just say that the results in games were VERY interesting , to say the least

Now , i don't care about the GTX680....the GTX750 (non-Ti) is another story...with it's low power drain, low price, relative small size and great performance (including and in special under Linux), i beleive that would be interesting if you made that test

Somehow "Cheap SteamBox" comes to my mind...
                Here you have GTX 750 Ti and some comparation Athlon 5350 vs i7-4770K

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Thanks for the idea haha! http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ericg92/saved/4kG0 >.> Yes it does scream Console..but thats okay. Its slim, its just there, would probably make an incredible Router / HTPC / Server machine. I just threw together some parts right there just to test it out and see what was compatible.
                  You've got to get an SSD with anything over $600. Even a 64GB one for just the OS and a few choice games.

Also, in a case like the rvz its silly not to get a discrete gpu - a 760k + 270x would deliver a lot more game performance for only $50 more.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    You've got to get an SSD with anything over $600. Even a 64GB one for just the OS and a few choice games.

Also, in a case like the rvz its silly not to get a discrete gpu - a 760k + 270x would deliver a lot more game performance for only $50 more.
                    I've got a 128gb SSD in my current laptop, trust me, I know how amazing they are. But I'm leery about having them be the SOLE drive in a machine since even the 128 I can push to like 5Gbs left once I put all my stuff on.

And I wasn't sure if you could fit a dedicated card in the Rvz, I'd prob go for Nvidia's new Maxwell card (forget the number, GTX something... 760?) if it was a dedicated gaming machine. Good performance, better power efficiency, small profile.

Comment

Michael, we have also here some inconsistentces

Look at the stock performance it is 28.79, but in earlier article you have different stock performance 22.01 which is ~25% difference because of unknown reason

Last edited by dungeon; 10 April 2014, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X