Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded Kernel & Mesa Yield A Big Boost For Athlon R3 Graphics

Phoronix: Upgraded Kernel & Mesa Yield A Big Boost For Athlon R3 Graphics

Yesterday I delivered the first Linux benchmarks of the AMD Athlon 5350 with Radeon R3 Graphics. Benchmarks of the socketed Kabini APU are ongoing at Phoronix in a variety of different software and hardware configurations. The tests that have just wrapped up today are checking out the performance when upgrading the Linux kernel and Mesa compared to what's shipped by default in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice results!

Have you made any progress with the binary blob?

I might be buying one if these boards for embedded use. There needs to be some OpenGL support but nothing as demanding as these games. I look forward to your extended testing

This brings up a question, have you tried a Mini PCI Express SSD in this board. Such a board ought to make for a snappy machine for many uses.

Comment

That results are much much better

Can't wait for the Catalyst tests

Michael, I also wonder what would be the results if you paired the Athlon 5350 with the...EVGA GTX750 using Nvidia Blob

There was a site that compared in Window$ a A6-5200 with a GTX680 vs a A10-7850K also with a GTX680 and let's just say that the results in games were VERY interesting , to say the least

Now , i don't care about the GTX680....the GTX750 (non-Ti) is another story...with it's low power drain, low price, relative small size and great performance (including and in special under Linux), i beleive that would be interesting if you made that test

Somehow "Cheap SteamBox" comes to my mind...

Comment

Michael, my logic is the following...

Taking in account the price difference between a 5350 and a 7850K and taking in account the price difference between AM1 and FM2+ miniITX MoBos, the price savings should more or less pay a GTX750 (non-Ti)....and i almost bet that a 5350+GTX750 beats the c++p out of a standalone 7850K using only it's iGPU (both under Window$ and under LINUX, in special in Linux taking in account the Catalyat problems).

Also, i almost bet that the power drain will be much lower using a 5350+GTX750 combo vs a 7850K using iGPU....

Comment

Hi Michael,

Can you include the AMD E1 results as well?

Comment

What's up with the unnecessary over-pimping of "Ubuntu" on Phoronix lately? Are they a sponsor now?

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
              Michael, my logic is the following...

Taking in account the price difference between a 5350 and a 7850K and taking in account the price difference between AM1 and FM2+ miniITX MoBos, the price savings should more or less pay a GTX750 (non-Ti)....and i almost bet that a 5350+GTX750 beats the c++p out of a standalone 7850K using only it's iGPU (both under Window$ and under LINUX, in special in Linux taking in account the Catalyat problems).

Also, i almost bet that the power drain will be much lower using a 5350+GTX750 combo vs a 7850K using iGPU....
              Hey AJSB, very interesting that you are bringing this up as I am putting together a 7850K build right now relying only on the integrated graphics for light to medium gaming. While yes 5350 + GTX750 would probably beat performance the performance isnt the only measure. Other factors that may or may not come up include space available in the case, heat, noise, and features of the CPU. I'm going with a Micro-ATX build in a relatively small form factor. I went with the 7850K because of HSA and VCE, plus it allows me to support AMD's open source efforts. Also I wanted to keep heat, and noise at the lowest possible levels.

There's also a theoretical advantage in gaming due to similarities between Kaveri and the custom APU's in the Xbox One and PS4 which may allow performance bumps due to console optimizations. Again, theoretical, but possible.

Frankly another reason I decided to just go with the 7850K is I want to see what AMD does with GCN 1.3 / 2.0. I'd rather not drop $150 on a dedicated GCN Card if in the next few months AMD is going to be releasing brand new cards with much lower power usage or much higher performance. I'd rather wait and see and just stick to integrated in the meantime, upgrading if necessary.

Assuming that AMD does NOT release a radically new card in the coming months, my planned "upgrade" for the machine is Carrizo next year which keeps FM2+ socket compatibility and supports DDR3 thus allowing me to continue using the 2133mhz, CAS 9 RAM from this machine. Lower TDP, tweaks to Kaveri architecture and upgraded graphics all in one? As a pop-in replacement? Sounds good to me, thats a CPU, GPU, and cooling bump for what is probably going to be ~$150.

I realize not everyone has the money / situation to plan out a $150 recreational expense next year. I'm just saying that there are those of us who have, or will have, Kaveri that have our reasons.
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
                What's up with the unnecessary over-pimping of "Ubuntu" on Phoronix lately? Are they a sponsor now?
                Michael's always used Ubuntu for testing and its coming close to an LTS release, so its kind of expected. Pretty sure he gave as much "pimping" when 10.04 was set to be released since it was also an LTS release.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Michael's always used Ubuntu for testing and its coming close to an LTS release, so its kind of expected. Pretty sure he gave as much "pimping" when 10.04 was set to be released since it was also an LTS release.
                  what about 12.04? Seems weird you're mentioning 10.04 but not 12.04.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
                    what about 12.04? Seems weird you're mentioning 10.04 but not 12.04.
                    I was about to be a dick but then I realized what you meant.. And yeah for some reason I was suddenly feeling like I was in 2012 and not 2014 haha. Yes, I didn't go back and count articles but he probably gave 12.04 and 10.04 as much attention as he is giving 14.04 now.

Comment

Working...
                    X