No announcement yet.

Linksys Begins Shipping The WRT1900AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ebay seems to have a few new ones for 80$. But if price is the issue, why not get a mobo with four PCI slots, and install four cheap eth cards? That's on top of 1-2 integrated ones.

Comment

I'm just wondering why PCI switches are hugely expensive compared to soldered in ones on router PCBs.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        Where do you find cheap ethernet switch cards? They always seem to be like $200+ online, yet I can buy a router switch for $40 with 4 gigabit ports (albeit it could never route 4+gigabits of traffic at once).
        You don't need that. You just need a motherboard with 2 RJ45 jacks.

One jack is for WAN, the other for LAN. The LAN side is connected to a cheap switch (don't buy a router, just a simple switch).

To mix your setup with a LAN and WLAN, bridge the LAN and WLAN interfaces together (the LAN and WLAN interfaces should not be given an IP address, only the bridge interface). NAT the bridge interface to the WAN. Add dhcpd and bind with DNS forwarding and that's a router. A bit of a pain to setup the first time ...

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
          I'm just wondering why PCI switches are hugely expensive compared to soldered in ones on router PCBs.
          Volume, and "what the market will bear" are my educated guesses. A few million routers ship yearly, while multi-port ethernet cards are likely few ten k. The second part is standard pricing, if you're selling a premium product, you price it at what people will buy at, regardless of how huge margins that makes you.

@nslay

Are cheap switches capable of running full-duplex 1Gbps at full capacity? I know they do much less with only ARP/MAC checks, but still I wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            I thought this article was about 802.11ac routers, not 802.11n crap. 802.11n is ancient. For what it's worth, I've already had two 802.11n routers, one with 4 x gigabit ports and one from Buffalo with 4x100Mbps. The last 802.11n one was a TP-Link from 2011. The Buffalo was probably from 2008 or 2009. Couldn't care less about 802.11n.
            I lost interest after "G", lol. My WRT54GS still serves my needs just fine. The only thing I use wireless for is casual web browsing from the couch. Home servers and such are on Cat5e.

Also, the whole selling consumer products based on a "draft" specification is such a scam. I didn't bother with "A", "N", or whatever comes after "N", I lost interest.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              I lost interest after "G", lol. My WRT54GS still serves my needs just fine. The only thing I use wireless for is casual web browsing from the couch. Home servers and such are on Cat5e.

Also, the whole selling consumer products based on a "draft" specification is such a scam. I didn't bother with "A", "N", or whatever comes after "N", I lost interest.
              That's nice. G is bloody slow as hell. WRT54GS doesn't serve other peoples needs. Don't assume because you do dick all with your environment doesn't mean other people need a setup that isn't a complete piece of crap.

Comment

Review: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...-router-review
                Honestly, nothing to call home. It's pretty much in line with the other top routers, and is ~$100 more expansive.
                The only great things are the read/writing speed from a disk, and the eSatap port, but I guess anyone interested in those has already a little nas connected somewhere.

I'm more curious about how good OpenWRT support will be, Asus has been pretty nice lately with custom firmwares, by providing source code and documents to those projects.
                Hopefully it won't turn out in a "well, now you have the code, so we don't have to care/update it anymore".

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                  That's nice. G is bloody slow as hell. WRT54GS doesn't serve other peoples needs. Don't assume because you do dick all with your environment doesn't mean other people need a setup that isn't a complete piece of crap.
                  Funny, you look like somebody who's assuming that his setup is a complete piece of crap just because it doesn't work for you (at least that's what your post suggests).

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                    Funny, you look like somebody who's assuming that his setup is a complete piece of crap just because it doesn't work for you (at least that's what your post suggests).
                    wrt54g-anything were all total pieces of CRAP even when they were brand new. Not just the software they came with (which was such broken garbage that it ended up being one of the reasons *FOR* the existence of OpenWRT), but the hardware as well. Unreliable, temperamental junk with a mind of its own. I had a couple of that-era's linksys junk routers, and frankly, I had to trashbin them and replace them with dlink. Still junk, but not AS junk.

Comment

Working...
                    X