Linksys Begins Shipping The WRT1900AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    owncloud does look pretty heavy. Lots of encryption and data processing. I'd say that you really need to use something that is more of.... an actual server for that.

I generally wouldn't consider any of these network appliances, including WRT1900AC, to be for much more than channelling data. Leave the heavy processing to equipment that is suited for it.

... although I do like the idea of having USB3 and SATA on the router, paying an extra $200 for that just isn't worth it. I'd much rather just pick up a cheap NAS. You can get an empty 2-bay NAS for $90, which puts you ahead of the game, since you get TWO SATA ports, an enclosure, and a power adapter. As far as the utility of having SATA on the device, it certainly doesn't save you any complexity in the system to use that over an NAS. In the end, it really isn't just a difference of $110, because you still need a powered enclosure for the SATA disk (which only holds *one* disk). Whether it communicates with the router using SATA, USB, or Ethernet is irrelevant.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=058795
    Well isn't owncloud PHP? PHP sucks ass when it comes to performance. You shouldn't use interpreted languages and especially the worst of them (PHP) on embedded hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Well isn't owncloud PHP? PHP sucks ass when it comes to performance. You shouldn't use interpreted languages and especially the worst of them (PHP) on embedded hardware.
      You realize that your last two messages were replied to the wrong person? I'm not advocating owncloud use on a router, or anything for that matter, since I don't actually see any application for it. I only looked it up because Ansla started talking about it.

Comment

What are you actually talking about here? I'm confused about whether you are referring to the NAS I linked to, or WRT1900AC with a disk hooked up via SATA/USB3...
        Obviously, you would be running OpenWRT on the WRT1900AC, so most of your complaints about protocols and filesystem support are meaningless.
        If you're referring to the NAS I linked to, allow me to address point by point;
        Originally posted by caligula View Post
        I think there are few fundamental issues that make such integrated router/file servers bad:[*]Performance: NFS is fast, but CIFS and AFP require more CPU power. These are underpowered even if they don't do anything else but serve files.
        One who has a brain, obviously wouldn't use CIFS. That dlink NAS supports NFS.
        [*]QoS: I mean this on whole system level. File serving uses so much resources the routing will slow down.
        QoS would have the same impact no matter how you hook it up, and realistically would only impact transfers out the WAN port.
        [*]File system support: usually only FAT32. A file server should use ZFS or Btrfs or something similar nowadays.
        Neither OpenWRT (WRT1900AC), nor the dlink NAS would be using fat32. The dlink NAS uses EXT4. I wouldn't touch ZFS with a 10 foot pole, and btrfs is still a bit too unstable to trust.
        [*]File system security: you might want AD & ACL & more advanced stuff and not a FAT32 disk with full r/w access on filesystem level
        AD? You talking about craptive directory (mswondoze)? Does not apply no matter what.
        ACL sure, applies to whatever you pick, openwrt, and presumably the dlink as well. Its obviously a linux box of some sort.
        [*]User level security: usually a separate page in the web gui. Terrible. How are the passwords stored? No idea. Maybe plaintext
        In the case of this dlink device, certainly hashed. I can't imagine a single reason why they would reinvent an obviously broken imitation of a wheel on what is obviously a Linux box.
        [*]Backdoors: Many routers have hidden backdoors.
        Once again, we are talking about OpenWRT here.
        [*]HW security: WEP/WPA/WPA2 are all broken. Takes less than 2 minutes to break in via Wifi. I don't like this
        So partition off some VLans.
        [*]Scalability: The routers don't scale to larger home networks. They usually argue that it's good enough if you want to r/w a fat32 volume to everyone. I don't like this. Buy a NAS instead or use esata/usb/firewire disks. USB3 is fast enough.
        What the hell are you even talking about? This doesn't relate to ANYTHING being discussed in this thread.
        [*]HW design: Indeed hot-plug might not work,
        hot plug certainly does work on openwrt (WRT1900AC).
        how about RAID,
        RAID doesn't really apply to WRT1900AC, since it has only ONE SATA port. Maybe between a disk on SATA and one on USB? Or multiple on a USB hub? You're obviously trying to push past the hardware's limits here. The dlink NAS, however, directly advertises raid 0, 1, and jbod.
        powering disks with external PSU, and many bad ideas
        You mean like the power adapter running your laptop? Not sure what your gripe is with external power supplies. Like anything else, there are good ones, and there are junk ones. I've seen INTERNAL power supplies *explode*, and take the system's mainboard with them.

I recommend this for home networks: ASRock C2550D4I Mini ITX & Intel Avoton C2550 integrated CPU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157419
        If you want ultimate security, set up Kerberos on RPi and so on.
        Two problems there....
        intel c2550 is a piece of trash, and you're dealing with newegg. They'll probably send you the wrong product, and then claim that its no different than the one you actually ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
          How well does lighttpd serving ownCloud run on that WRT54GS? Because it runs like crap on a WNDR3800 with 680 MHz, 16MB flash and 128MB RAM. I managed to squeeze lighttpd and its dependencies in the 16MB flash, but owncloud itself is on an external drive along with the data it's hosting. The specs of WRT1900AC sound a lot closer to what it's required to host ownCloud, though probably still not enough.
          Onwcloud is slow on my i5 based server

If would use a NUC to run owncloud, you can still keep the data somewhere else (external enclosure, or NAS). Or build a full server (what I did).

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            craptive directory (mswondoze)
            Thanks, that sort of stuff helps me sort between people I can take seriously and the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Lol! But seriously, I wonder why they thought it needed 1.2 Ghz, 128 MB flash, and 256 MB ram? DD-WRT Mega, the largest one, runs marvelously on a WRT54GS with just ~200 Mhz, 8 MB of flash and 32 MB of RAM.
              It needs those specs so it isn't completely underpowered. A WRT54GS and anything with similar specs is a complete piece of junk a few years after it was introduced never mind now many many years later. Everyone could be still using 486's but they're not...

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                I'd like to see an atom-based router so I can install whatever I want.
                An atom processor is not something too expensive for a ~300$ router.
                Seriously ... Atom? Is Mini ITX too big a form factor for any of you? Just build your own router ...

Look, you could even fit that form factor into a small box made of Legos (I wouldn't):

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                  Thanks, that sort of stuff helps me sort between people I can take seriously and the rest.
                  Right... because trolls like you can only take trolls like you seriously. Take your wondoze somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                    I wouldn't describe it as intended to compete with OpenWRT or DD-WRT. From https://www.pfsense.org/about-pfsense/index.html:

I run pfSense on an old PC that's got a Pentium 4 and 512 MB of RAM with seven ethernet interface by way of expansion cards.
                    Good choice. When I upgrade my build with an AMD FX I'll do the same with my old board.

Comment

Where do you find cheap ethernet switch cards? They always seem to be like $200+ online, yet I can buy a router switch for $40 with 4 gigabit ports (albeit it could never route 4+gigabits of traffic at once).

Comment

Working...
                      X