No announcement yet.

AMD Athlon 5350 APU On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meanwhile, this: http://hardkernel.com/main/products/...=G138745696275 costs $65 (or $59 if you buy just one: http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php ) and uses a 5VDC/2A power adapter... I guess AMD keeps taking the wrong path.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
      Oh dear that cpu performance is quite bad. I had one e-350 laptop and it was nicely but rather weak(17" with atom class processor, never again).
      Depends upon what your needs are. CPU wise it looks to be better than Atom though we need more testing especially with single threaded apps. Not that single threaded apps are a norm anymore. That brings up another issue having those extra cores can dramatically impact the feel of a machine due to most software bing multi threaded and the reality that Operating syStems generally run multiple processes. In any even I very much want to see more testing especially when we know for sure that the chip is running full speed.
      Gpu performance will go up, so I would not worry about that.
      Yes it will an possibly substantially. In fact this is the only thing that bothers me about this early testing as you really need drivers that fully enable the chip. What we have right now is a biased set of results. Further I want to see testing with both DIMM slots filled with RAM. This is especially important for any GPU testing.
      What I would like to see is how it can perform with different kind of hd video files(h264,vc1, 720p, 1080p and different bitrates), after all platform's main potential is for being good htpc box.
      Yes this would be very important and worth a series or article all on its own. Unfortunately we go back to the driver problem here so this will have to wait for stable driver and operating system support. a HTPC was one of my first thoughts when this article appeared. However there are lots of other uses for such a platform. When a real set of drivers and a proper kernel arrive I would like to see real power usage figures as I'm really hoping that idle power will be extremely low so that an always powered up system doesn't suck down a lot of watt hours.

In any event a small SSD paired with this board might give some interesting results. I do hope Michael focuses a bit of effort on the many potential configurations this platform offers even if that means using other motherboards. I also have to agree with somebody else that suggested that this processors needs to be packages up in a small box for a turn key solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Problem with that is lack of free, well-mirrored content in all the different bitrates, etc. If there is, feel free to add it to PTS and it will then be tested.
        Well you could always film your own videos and use them as base data to test with.

I have to agree with the other poster though, this is probably an ideal HTPC board/chipset. It would be nice to see some unbiased results with respect to HTPC and video processing.

As an aside I do believe you need to use strong wording when you indicate the preliminary nature of the results and the lack of ideal driver support. Especially when that driver support might have significant impact on reported performance.

As it is I'm actually fairly happy with the results posted so far, this looks like a nice chip for many uses. Maybe not for my next main machine but certainly for other uses.

Comment

I actually really like my E-350 on my Thinkpad X121e, have been using it since it came out. But I admit that it got a lot better when I upgraded to a SSD. It does 1080p video, office, web, Steam In-Home Streaming perfectly fine.

Comment

Wouldn't Michael's Celeron N2820 be a better comparison point (at least in terms of TDP) than the Atom ?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              Wouldn't Michael's Celeron N2820 be a better comparison point (at least in terms of TDP) than the Atom ?
              It's having UEFI issues with Ubuntu at the moment so couldn't be included.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                Well you could always film your own videos and use them as base data to test with.
                Don't have sufficient hosting/mirroring capabilities.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  I would pull that article, or at least update it to make VERY clear mention that something in the tests went horribly wrong. As others have shown, those CPU results are nowhere near what they should be.
                  That's the state of things with Ubuntu 14.04 out-of-the-box as mentioned multiple times in that article. As also said in the article, more tests are forthcoming.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Don't have sufficient hosting/mirroring capabilities.
                    Not that I personally care about the videos, but why not use youtube? That should handle everything of concern to you. You could even make a little extra side cash from the ads.

Comment

YAY for more shitty CPU's AMD ?

usually you would expect a newer processor to be faster, but AMD use their own (weird) logic, make more worse CPU's with time, where is the 5000 mhz processor with steamroller cores ? if they made thuban on the new process shrink it would wipe the floor with steamroller and give Intel something to think about !

Comment

Working...
                      X