AMD Athlon 5350 APU On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    Hey, genius, that's an ARM processor, which means I would need ARM compatible programs. So if I wanted to play a game...
    Let's say you want a cheap, powerful enough computer to browse the web, watch videos, play lightweight games, etc. (For example, you are poor, or you want to give cheap computers to poor people, or whatever). In terms of hardware and software, clearly x86 is the winner, because x86 hardware is powerful and flexible, but also because of the propietary software that is unsupported by other archs. But ARM is a VERY good alternative if you don't have/need/care about all that power, and the Chromebooks show that.
    THAT is exactly what I'm talking about: AMD is not only trying to compete agains Intel, but also, they are now, and will in the near future, compete against ARM. From that point of view, is stupid to try to sell cheap but not-so-powerful x86 hardware, when you have way cheaper alternatives that can do exactly the same... they market these APUs as cheap computers for 3rd world countries, and that strategy is doomed, IMO. Even worse, with these APUs and the new AM1 socket, they are wasting even more resources, because, judging by benchmarks, this APU is similar, if not the same as the A6-5200.

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    Still, the embedded systems I've seen cannot compete (in terms of price) against a cheap ARM SoC, because you have CPU, GPU, video decoder, memory, USB and some network device, all integrated in the SoC.
    Anyway, good link, thanks!

Comment

Also take a look at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157491 (DC-In power supply support).

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
        Also take a look at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157491 (DC-In power supply support).
        I hope we'll see more of those in the near future. PSU are bulky for those small builds, and small PSUs usually carry a premium price.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          It's for local playback but it's a matter of for me to test it needs to meet PTS requirements, which includes reproducibility for tests that can be done by anyone.. Thus needs to be publicly hosted somewhere.
          Perhaps this:

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            In fact this is the only thing that bothers me about this early testing as you really need drivers that fully enable the chip. What we have right now is a biased set of results. Further I want to see testing with both DIMM slots filled with RAM. This is especially important for any GPU testing.
            It's only got a single channel memory controller, adding a 2nd stick gains you nothing but more capacity. Now Kaveri, Richland and the other mainstream-mid range APUs have a dual channel controller, thus having a stick in both channels is very important for the GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
              I hope we'll see more of those in the near future. PSU are bulky for those small builds, and small PSUs usually carry a premium price.
              Actually the problem is the current dearth of decently efficient SFX PSUs, the only model Newegg has is the Silverstone ST45SF-G http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256084 who's bi problem is that it's capable of 450w output, at max load without a dedicated GPU you won't even reach 1/4th the max load of the ST45SF-G which will cause it to run less efficient then most would like as you won't be drawing enough power for it to fall into the sweet spot for efficiency. I wonder if the 9w and under chips could even get that PSU to realize it's even been turned on.

Yes, I'm aware some of you think that a PSU's rating is what it's pulling from the wall...

Comment

To me, it looks like half of the cores are not functioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  Actually the problem is the current dearth of decently efficient SFX PSUs, the only model Newegg has is the Silverstone ST45SF-G http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817256084 who's bi problem is that it's capable of 450w output, at max load without a dedicated GPU you won't even reach 1/4th the max load of the ST45SF-G which will cause it to run less efficient then most would like as you won't be drawing enough power for it to fall into the sweet spot for efficiency. I wonder if the 9w and under chips could even get that PSU to realize it's even been turned on.

Yes, I'm aware some of you think that a PSU's rating is what it's pulling from the wall...
                  Yes, that too. Didn't think about it because power-efficiency doesn't matter a lot to me.
                  And I assure you that I know how a PSU work

I just found out about this: http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-120-power-kit
                  Pricey, but seems a good solutions for motherboards that don't support direct DC input (ie everyone but that asrock).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    It's for local playback but it's a matter of for me to test it needs to meet PTS requirements, which includes reproducibility for tests that can be done by anyone.. Thus needs to be publicly hosted somewhere.
                    If you cannot find a suitable file, why not bind it to the x264 encoding test?

Ie, script-generate some animated fractals or such, use the x264 encoding test to encode to suitable bitrates, voila you have a local file for decoding tests. Of course it depends on the x264 version, but I think PTS can handle that easily.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      If you cannot find a suitable file, why not bind it to the x264 encoding test?

Ie, script-generate some animated fractals or such, use the x264 encoding test to encode to suitable bitrates, voila you have a local file for decoding tests. Of course it depends on the x264 version, but I think PTS can handle that easily.
                      But You can forget about reproductability.

Cause of implementation differences, cause of default settings differences, cause of implementation perf. differences. Etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X