Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Athlon 5350 APU On Linux

Phoronix: AMD Athlon 5350 APU On Linux

Now that we've covered the general information about the new socketed Kabini APUs, here are our first benchmarks from the Athlon-branded Kabini APU we were seeded with by AMD: the Athlon 5350 with Radeon R3 Graphics. Let's see how this 25-Watt APU with four processor cores can perform under Ubuntu 14.04 Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh dear that cpu performance is quite bad. I had one e-350 laptop and it was nicely but rather weak(17" with atom class processor, never again).

Gpu performance will go up, so I would not worry about that. What I would like to see is how it can perform with different kind of hd video files(h264,vc1, 720p, 1080p and different bitrates), after all platform's main potential is for being good htpc box.

Comment

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is shipping with the Linux 3.13 kernel and for some GCN hardware -- including the Athlon 5350's Radeon R3 Graphics -- dynamic power management wasn't turned on by default. As a result, the clock speeds are lowered compared to their rated frequencies.
      Socketed Kabini is released, but Ubuntu 14.04 is not released yet .

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
        Oh dear that cpu performance is quite bad. I had one e-350 laptop and it was nicely but rather weak(17" with atom class processor, never again).
        Oh come on, it's not *that* bad. Jaguar is miles ahead of Bobcat. +20% IPC, much better SIMD performance and feature set, AES-NI, et cetera. On top of that it runs at significantly higher clock speeds.

Gpu performance will go up, so I would not worry about that. What I would like to see is how it can perform with different kind of hd video files(h264,vc1, 720p, 1080p and different bitrates), after all platform's main potential is for being good htpc box.
        It's using the same UVD found in earlier APUs, just with some performance improvements. However, a Jaguar quadcore is plenty fast for software decoding in case UVD can't cope with some formats, which is a big advantage.

Comment

It would be nice to add a 'latest' opensource run with latest mesa and kernel, at some point. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
            It would be nice to add a 'latest' opensource run with latest mesa and kernel, at some point. Cheers!
            As said in the article, it's coming in a few days... Only got the 5350 a few days ago and had limited amount of time to run initial tests for this morning's launch.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
              What I would like to see is how it can perform with different kind of hd video files(h264,vc1, 720p, 1080p and different bitrates), after all platform's main potential is for being good htpc box.
              Problem with that is lack of free, well-mirrored content in all the different bitrates, etc. If there is, feel free to add it to PTS and it will then be tested.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Is this also wrong 2x1GHz on E1-2100 compile kernel in 23 minutes and 4x2.05 GHz on Athlon 5350 in 15 minutes

Comment

Why would anyone buy this junk? Crap performance and it needs a big heatsink and fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Is this also wrong 2x1GHz on E1-2100 compile kernel in 23 minutes and 4x2.05 GHz on Athlon 5350 in 15 minutes

http://openbenchmarking.org/prospect...c9e439149a3b0d
                    And E-350 with 2x1.6GHz bobcat cores for 16 minutes... something went wrong there is it Michael .

Comment

Working...
                    X