Thread: AMD Brings Back Semprons & Athlons With The 2014 AM1 Platform

Hybrid View

Default AMD Brings Back Semprons & Athlons With The 2014 AM1 Platform

Phoronix: AMD Brings Back Semprons & Athlons With The 2014 AM1 Platform

After much information being made public in March concerning AMD's AM1 platform that delivers socketed APUs for low-cost desktop systems, the first of these new socketed APUs are shipping today under the restored Athlon and Sempron branding. We've been fortunate enough to have one of the new Athlon AM1 APUs at Phoronix for a few days of testing.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20134

The athlon branding are in fm2+ igpless processors too(not kaveri based though).

Nonetheless might be good platform for htpc and casual living room gaming.

Might be useful as a pfSense machine...

Could Gigabyte please make a cheap Brix version with this.

They must focus on developing new CPU architecture(s), not introduce CPUs which cannot compete with Intel's cheapest Celerons.

AMD's IPC performance absolutely sucks - they cannot even beat original Intel Core 2 CPUs which were released eight freaking years ago.

Default Need make a single-board computer

They say less than $40 but when you add power supply and chassis its much more.
    Also its hard to come by small chassis and power supplies.

I wish they made a single-board computer with case and power supply.
    Like Intel NUC.

Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    They must focus on developing new CPU architecture(s), not introduce CPUs which cannot compete with Intel's cheapest Celerons.

AMD's IPC performance absolutely sucks - they cannot even beat original Intel Core 2 CPUs which were released eight freaking years ago.
    My family would rather have an affordable mini pc that is power efficient. If Intel can supply that with AMD prices go right ahead. I would buy one for my father, mother and for the linux testing pc. 500+ euro is too much for a small pc where performance is not really important. Why is a Nexus 7(which is fast enough) 250 euro and Brix 500+?

The competition here is the ATOM line in case you missed it. That and Intel terrible GPUS. As such Kabini does very well. I wouldn't expect these chips to drive a high performance laptop of desktop but they would deliver very good results for lesser uses. Further is AMD came out with an embedded version I could see strong demand.
    This chip isn't designed to compete with that platform. Besides you underestimate just how important GPUs are these days in delivering systems that feel good to the user. You need to realize that AMD has had considerable success competing against ATOM. This doesn't mean they don't need to fix their high performance architectures just that I really think you mis how important this segment is to AMD.

The biggest load of Bullshit I have read so far this week,

Intel fanbois are soooo insane.