Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Publishes Full Linux Driver Support For Cherryview

Phoronix: Intel Publishes Full Linux Driver Support For Cherryview

A few days ago I wrote about Intel adding Cherryview support to their Mesa 3D driver and now waking up this morning they have dropped a huge patch bomb that implements Cherryview Atom support within their DRM kernel driver. We now have a much better understanding for the Cherryview graphics hardware capabilities for when these Atom SoCs begin to ship in some months down the road...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

and VGA support has been dropped from Cherryview.
    It's about time. Analog video needed to die years ago. Though we need more forward action in getting DisplayPort adopted in its place over HDMI.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      It's about time. Analog video needed to die years ago. Though we need more forward action in getting DisplayPort adopted in its place over HDMI.
      YES!!!!! Daisy chaining displayport monitors is simply awesome. And display port is royalty free.

Comment

+1 to both of you. Plus, DisplayPort has more bandwidth, gives twice the frames at 4k than HDMI does. Can't wait until DVI gets killed as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FourDMusic View Post
          And display port is royalty free.
          This really isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Most devices with DP capability also have HDMI. Adding a DisplayPort to a device actually adds cost to the device because it is usually put in addition to HDMI and not in lieu of HDMI. The licensing costs are minimal as well. Most manufacturers will pay the 10k license fee per year as they have other products that use HDMI as well. So that really breaks it down to the per device cost which after everyone puts the HDMI logo on and includes DRM support brings down the cost to 4 cents per unit to license. Now considering DP connectors themselves are usually more expensive in bulk than HDMI there is usually no savings going to DP, in fact it usually ends up being a bit more costly to implement.

Raspberry Pi hasn't exactly griped about the cost of HDMI licensing so I doubt any large manufacturer will.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Now considering DP connectors themselves are usually more expensive in bulk than HDMI there is usually no savings going to DP, in fact it usually ends up being a bit more costly to implement.
            The technical points aside the displayport connector is way better because of this:

I have a HDMI to DVI adapter and with the cable attached it is a little bit heavier and that is enough that it disconnects itself...

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
              The technical points aside the displayport connector is way better because of this:

I have a HDMI to DVI adapter and with the cable attached it is a little bit heavier and that is enough that it disconnects itself...
              I've had several Displayport cables break because the connector prongs are poorly architected, so if the spring stops working all the way you rip the plastic cover off the cable and break the button.

Which just makes me buy other brand's DP cables.

Comment

Good for you I tried three adapters and they all had the same problem. So it's somewhat by design. With DP you can simply switch the branch to get something that works

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                  Indeed. Too bad that pretty much every projector at my university is using VGA connectors. In the main classroom it's also so broken it doesn't display the R signal to begin with, so lecturers have to narrate what in the picture is supposed to be red or orange. If it displays anything at all to begin with. It's been like that for half a year now and nobody wants to replace it, since a new shielded long enough VGA cable for that thing costs more than $100... Nothing like that would have happened if only they used modern digital connectors.

Comment

Yes, a DVI cable with one pin broken wouldn't display anything, and a new long one is only 50$

Comment

Working...
                    X