Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser4 Gains Support For Different Transaction Models

Phoronix: Reiser4 Gains Support For Different Transaction Models

For the past few years the Reiser4 file-system has mostly been in maintenance mode with there being just a handful of developers left working on the out-of-tree code, the former ReiserFS lead developer in jail, and most code activity these days just revolving around bug-fixing and adding support for newer kernel releases. However, in March the Reiser4 file-system did gain support for a new feature...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A subtle form of necrophilia.

Comment

Why do they still call it Reiser...

Come on people, use some common sense. You don't see many people named Hitler around these days, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        Why do they still call it Reiser...

Come on people, use some common sense. You don't see many people named Hitler around these days, do you?
        Yeah common sense... now that we're speaking of it. Do you think everyone/everything that shares a name (or a variant of it) with a murderer should get a new name?
        I hope you're that narrow minded to not use a product just because of it's name...

Also "nobody" is named hitler because it's not a common name and it's actually hiedler but someone messed up and noted hitler in some official document.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
          [...]just because of it's name...[...]
          its*

(10 chars)

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
            Yeah common sense... now that we're speaking of it. Do you think everyone/everything that shares a name (or a variant of it) with a murderer should get a new name?
            I hope you're that narrow minded to not use a product just because of it's name...

Also "nobody" is named hitler because it's not a common name and it's actually hiedler but someone messed up and noted hitler in some official document.
            No, nobody is named Hitler because after WW2, everyone else who was named Hitler quite sensibly changed their name.

And it doesn't really matter whether I'm "narrow minded" or not, I'm just one person. Impressions and reputations matter. Do you think anyone would use Linux if it was named Hitlerix? Of course if you think about it it's just a name like any other, but people do not act rationally in things like these. If the Reiser developers were smart, they'd change the name to something that doesn't have the negative connotations of sharing a name with a convicted murderer.

And no, it wouldn't really matter that much if the name were just a coincidence, like if there was some murderer who just happened to share the name, but the murderer in question was actually the former lead developer of the project. It kind of brings attention to the whole "this software was formerly developed by a convicted murderer" thing, and let me tell you, that's not good PR for any project. It's the kind of thing any corporation tends to shy away from...

I mean, not that it matters much to me personally, I don't have a horse in the race, but I'm pretty sure Reiser FS could be considerably more succesful if they changed their name to something else...

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
              No, nobody is named Hitler because after WW2, everyone else who was named Hitler quite sensibly changed their name.

9 people named Hitler, 6 of them died in/before 1945 of course the remaining changed their names, because they were directly related to the bad guy and would probably been killed if someone knew this.
              The first Hitler was Alois Hitler (Adolfs dad) and this was because of a mistake, because his dad was actually called Hiedler.

So my point still stands. Not a common name -> it died out.
              Another argument is that there are still a lot of people called Himmler these days even though he was as bad as Hitler.
              Same with Goebbels, still there today.

Buuut we're drifting away from the original topic. I think we should stop here :-)

Comment

Working...
              X