Thread: Gallium3D's HUD Gains More Features For R600g, RadeonSI

Hybrid View

Default Gallium3D's HUD Gains More Features For R600g, RadeonSI

Phoronix: Gallium3D's HUD Gains More Features For R600g, RadeonSI

The Gallium3D HUD has gain some new reporting capabilities for the Radeon Gallium3D R600 and RadeonSI drivers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY1OTc

Default Need a GUI control panel

Enabling the Gallium3D HUD is via setting the query types within the GALLUUM_HUD environment variable.
    Now wouldn't it be nice to:

(1)open the panel
    (2)click the button to turn on HUD
    (3)close the panel
    (4)get the information then
    (5)open the panel and turn off HUD again

All without rebooting or logging off - without the command line, text files or other such config files? I'm all in favor of people having these such tools, but a GUI should be in addition to these.

Can the latest release of radeon-profile do it?

It can be done like this:

Code:
    GALLIUM_HUD="cpu0+cpu1+cpu2+cpu3:100,cpu:100,fps;draw-calls,requested-VRAM+requested-GTT,samples-passed" APP_NAME
    You can also create a shortcut for that by creating an alias in your bashrc.

The Gallium HUD is freaking awesome. I'm insterested in the new actual VRAM usage, along with the existing requested VRAM display.

Personally, I use the HUD with Steam games a lot by putting it in the "launch options" section along with %command%. It's really useful to get actual live readings on things when checking out new graphics driver optimizations. Rather than doing a synthetic benchmark, you can just load up a game and go to an area that has a specific effect that you want to compare. It's cool to be able to see live feedback like this.

I've issues with num-bytes-moved, VRAM-usage and GTT-usage. Using latest Mesa-git and Linux kernel 3.14 I get:

Code:
    radeon: Failed to get num-bytes-moved, error number -22
    radeon: Failed to get vram-usage, error number -22
    radeon: Failed to get gtt-usage, error number -22
    When running:
    Code:
    GALLIUM_HUD="num-bytes-moved,VRAM-usage+GTT-usage" unigine-heaven
    And this is on a RadeonHD 4890.

Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    I've issues with num-bytes-moved, VRAM-usage and GTT-usage. Using latest Mesa-git and Linux kernel 3.14 I get:

Code:
    radeon: Failed to get num-bytes-moved, error number -22
    radeon: Failed to get vram-usage, error number -22
    radeon: Failed to get gtt-usage, error number -22
    These were added in 3.15.

Quote Originally Posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
    [...]
    Can the latest release of radeon-profile do it?
    No, it can't, but when I first read about this feature, the idea of implementing it crossed my mind. You know, select gallium_hud options, select binary click run and have fun. The problem is radeon-profile run as root, so the app launched by it will be root too, which is bad. I'm working (sloowly...) on daemon running as root and UI as normal user but I have nothing to show right now (I'm stuck and little time to resolve problems). But when we have UI in normal user mode, this is nice feature to have it in.

Quote Originally Posted by marazmista View Post
    No, it can't, but when I first read about this feature, the idea of implementing it crossed my mind. You know, select gallium_hud options, select binary click run and have fun. The problem is radeon-profile run as root, so the app launched by it will be root too, which is bad. I'm working (sloowly...) on daemon running as root and UI as normal user but I have nothing to show right now (I'm stuck and little time to resolve problems). But when we have UI in normal user mode, this is nice feature to have it in.
    Radeon-tray implements server/client model with systemd support, but there is no GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Enabling the Gallium3D HUD is via setting the query types within the GALLUUM_HUD environment variable.
    Small typo here, it's GALLIUM_HUD.