Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realtek RTL8723AU Support Added To Linux 3.15

Phoronix: Realtek RTL8723AU Support Added To Linux 3.15

A second staging pull was submitted for the Linux 3.15 kernel that adds the new r8723au driver for handling an increasingly used WiFi adapter common to some new notebooks/ultrabooks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have a Yoga and have been installing the driver from GitHub every time I update the kernel.

The driver has always existed on GitHub, Realtek sent it out to people who asked for it (under the GPL I think), but Bluetooth does not work.

Comment

I'd rather like it if they actually fixed the existing drivers. They are quite buggy... rtl8192ce in my netbook? Only works good without connection dropouts with power management disabled. rtl8192cu USB stick? Just dies after a random time, only replugging makes it work again.

My Ralink (rt2800usb) stick has always worked reliably on the other hand.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
        I'd rather like it if they actually fixed the existing drivers. They are quite buggy... rtl8192ce in my netbook? Only works good without connection dropouts with power management disabled. rtl8192cu USB stick? Just dies after a random time, only replugging makes it work again.

My Ralink (rt2800usb) stick has always worked reliably on the other hand.
        This. Had a RTL8188CE (using the rtl8192ce driver) in my Thinkpad X121e. It worked okay in the past, but since Linux 3.11 or so it dropped connection more and more and with Linux 3.13 it's basicly useless. Disabling power management etc. didn't help at all. My solution: removed that crap out of my Thinkpad and replaced it with a new Intel WiFi chip. It's perfect now.

Comment

In my new laptop there is the PCI-E version of the chipset, the RTL8723AE.
          It works great under windows, but in debian it works only if sufficiently near the wireless source.

On the internet I found other users that suffer from this problem but they cannot find a real solution. And I think that this kernel commit will not change things a lot because it's referred to the usb version of the chipset...

Comment

Originally posted by BubuXP View Post
            In my new laptop there is the PCI-E version of the chipset, the RTL8723AE.
            It works great under windows, but in debian it works only if sufficiently near the wireless source.

On the internet I found other users that suffer from this problem but they cannot find a real solution. And I think that this kernel commit will not change things a lot because it's referred to the usb version of the chipset...
            Honest advice: get that shit replaced with a better chip right now (e.g. Intel 7260). I have been wasting too much time trying different distributions, kernels, drivers, configurations, parameters etc. on RaLink and Realtek chips over the last years, and the problems were never truly solved. You *will* try stuff and you *will* get frustrated. It is not worth the 20 USD or whatever for a new chip.

Comment

Working...
            X