Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: CRYENGINE For Linux Appears Within The Steam Database

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,391

    Default CRYENGINE For Linux Appears Within The Steam Database

    Phoronix: CRYENGINE For Linux Appears Within The Steam Database

    As a potential sign of Linux gamers soon to see CRYENGINE outside of Windows, a Steam database listing for Crytek's flagship game engine has appeared...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY1OTA

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    396

    Default

    On SteamDB is a link to the EULA, which seems to be for the CryEngine SDK: http://store.steampowered.com/eula/220980_eula_0 - What's interresting is this:
    This limited license agreement for the NON-COMMERCIAL use
    Does this mean we will get free access to it as long as we develop non-commercial applications? Anyway I don't think this is a sign that some cryengine based game will be released for linux in the near future.
    Last edited by TAXI; 04-08-2014 at 01:39 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAXI View Post
    On SteamDB is a link to the EULA, which seems to be for the CryEngine SDK: http://store.steampowered.com/eula/220980_eula_0 - What's interresting is this:

    Does this mean we will get free access to it as long as we develop non-commercial applications? Anyway I don't think this is a sign that some cryengine based game will be released for linux in the near future.
    I think so. You can build stuff like OpenOutcast with CryEngine SDK.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_XCfB-tq7E

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Damn edit limit, the EULA is for "CryEngine 3 Free SDK", so it looks like we really get free access.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TAXI View Post
    Damn edit limit, the EULA is for "CryEngine 3 Free SDK", so it looks like we really get free access.
    It's a trap.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    341

    Default

    So, how will the free version differ from the commercial version?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarmad View Post
    So, how will the free version differ from the commercial version?
    As you would expect, if you want to make profit, you have to cut them in (and also, you can't modify/reverse engineer/compete etc).
    Usual proprietary stuff.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tpruzina View Post
    As you would expect, if you want to make profit, you have to cut them in (and also, you can't modify/reverse engineer/compete etc).
    Usual proprietary stuff.
    But what if I use the free version for a year, and then at the last month I switch it to the commercial version, cutting my license cost from 12 months to only 1 month? How will they know how much of my time on the engine was spent building commercial stuff and how much of it was learning/experimenting?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •