Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 7 X11 Running Together With Unity 8 Mir

Phoronix: Unity 7 X11 Running Together With Unity 8 Mir

A new video out of Canonical is showing off the Unity 7 desktop with an X11 session running side-by-side with a Unity 8 Mir-powered session...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But does it run on Wayland?

Who cares about Mir, does it run on Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Who cares about Mir, does it run on Wayland?
      I bet it wont run on a protocol.
      The question is, will Mir fully implement the Wayland protocol?

Comment

Originally posted by sacridex View Post
        I bet it wont run on a protocol.
        The question is, will Mir fully implement the Wayland protocol?
        i think implementing unity as wayland compositor would make more sense than implementing mir on wayland. why stuck layers when you can do it directly?

but, hey... that's just me being wayland fan so it probably makes my comment biased.

Comment

Look's Like a Windows 8+Gnome Mix....

Comment

Hears an opinion in the form of a statement.

And here is something I already know the answer of in the form of a question?

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
              i think implementing unity as wayland compositor would make more sense than implementing mir on wayland. why stuck layers when you can do it directly?

but, hey... that's just me being wayland fan so it probably makes my comment biased.
              Lack of knowledge again. If you want to use wayland protocol, you have to create a compositor from scratch. So you have to write Mir or sth like this to implement this protocol. It's like saying: Why bother about writing browser? Let's run webapps on HTTP!

Comment

Hum,
                Did I miss something or is this video just about VT switching between Unity 7 and Unity 8 ?

Comment

The drum patterns are just too loud and the voice is too quiet. Very amateurish in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Siekacz View Post
                    Lack of knowledge again. If you want to use wayland protocol, you have to create a compositor from scratch. So you have to write Mir or sth like this to implement this protocol. It's like saying: Why bother about writing browser? Let's run webapps on HTTP!
                    again? and... how does native wayland compositor differs from what you said it would be needed? running mir on wayland as it is, would probably need to be done in same way as x11, which adds extra layer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Th...and_glamor.svg

but, yea i might be wrong. never cared about unity

Comment

Working...
                    X