Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Developers Continue Work On The Weston RandR Protocol

Phoronix: Intel Developers Continue Work On The Weston RandR Protocol

Intel developers continue experimenting with a Resize and Rotate protocol extension for Wayland's Weston compositor that was originally designed for the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There was supposed to be created a "clipping and scaling" extension according to Pekka Paalanen, is RandR _that_ extension and if not what's the difference.

..The following are not provided by sub-surfaces:
    Clipping or scaling. The buffer you attach to a sub-surface will decide the size of the sub-surface. There is another extension coming for clipping and scaling.

Comment

I'm very interested in this, I've got my computers hooked up to a HDTV (as opposed to a monitor), and that results in underscan/overscan problems.

The only way I've found of correcting this in a standard distro is with xrandr settings.

I've successfully installed Weston without Xorg on a new Arch install, but it's effectively useless because of my overscan problem, so I can't see anything useful, like the taskbar, and given that xrandr isn't available, because not having Xorg is kinda the point, I don't have a viable way of running anything Wayland related. I'd like a solution to this that doesn't involve buying a monitor or a new TV.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        I'm very interested in this, I've got my computers hooked up to a HDTV (as opposed to a monitor), and that results in underscan/overscan problems.

The only way I've found of correcting this in a standard distro is with xrandr settings.

I've successfully installed Weston without Xorg on a new Arch install, but it's effectively useless because of my overscan problem, so I can't see anything useful, like the taskbar, and given that xrandr isn't available, because not having Xorg is kinda the point, I don't have a viable way of running anything Wayland related. I'd like a solution to this that doesn't involve buying a monitor or a new TV.
        In my understanding, the extension will be shell accessible, but not end-user accessible (or only through a shell API, or shell application), for security and access control reason.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
          In my understanding, the extension will be shell accessible, but not end-user accessible (or only through a shell API, or shell application), for security and access control reason.
          What about root access?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            I usualy manage to disable overscan on the TV. IMO it's a much cleaner solution. Usually it's in the aspect ratio menu, under some weird name (like point for point). I understand the historical reasons for overscan, but it should've been killed a couple of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
              What about root access?
              quite possible, but no idea.

Comment

Another user voices their need for "drmrandr": set overscan in the terminal, have proper view of a tty, and settings inherited to any X/wayland sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
                  I usualy manage to disable overscan on the TV. IMO it's a much cleaner solution. Usually it's in the aspect ratio menu, under some weird name (like point for point). I understand the historical reasons for overscan, but it should've been killed a couple of years ago.
                  should've, but hasn't. there are a lot of TVs where you just cannot disable overscan no matter what you do.

Comment

Working...
                  X