Thread: Intel Developers Continue Work On The Weston RandR Protocol

Default Intel Developers Continue Work On The Weston RandR Protocol

Phoronix: Intel Developers Continue Work On The Weston RandR Protocol

Intel developers continue experimenting with a Resize and Rotate protocol extension for Wayland's Weston compositor that was originally designed for the X.Org Server...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY1ODU

There was supposed to be created a "clipping and scaling" extension according to Pekka Paalanen, is RandR _that_ extension and if not what's the difference.

..The following are not provided by sub-surfaces:
    Clipping or scaling. The buffer you attach to a sub-surface will decide the size of the sub-surface. There is another extension coming for clipping and scaling.

I'm very interested in this, I've got my computers hooked up to a HDTV (as opposed to a monitor), and that results in underscan/overscan problems.

The only way I've found of correcting this in a standard distro is with xrandr settings.

I've successfully installed Weston without Xorg on a new Arch install, but it's effectively useless because of my overscan problem, so I can't see anything useful, like the taskbar, and given that xrandr isn't available, because not having Xorg is kinda the point, I don't have a viable way of running anything Wayland related. I'd like a solution to this that doesn't involve buying a monitor or a new TV.

Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    I'm very interested in this, I've got my computers hooked up to a HDTV (as opposed to a monitor), and that results in underscan/overscan problems.

The only way I've found of correcting this in a standard distro is with xrandr settings.

I've successfully installed Weston without Xorg on a new Arch install, but it's effectively useless because of my overscan problem, so I can't see anything useful, like the taskbar, and given that xrandr isn't available, because not having Xorg is kinda the point, I don't have a viable way of running anything Wayland related. I'd like a solution to this that doesn't involve buying a monitor or a new TV.
    In my understanding, the extension will be shell accessible, but not end-user accessible (or only through a shell API, or shell application), for security and access control reason.

Quote Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
    In my understanding, the extension will be shell accessible, but not end-user accessible (or only through a shell API, or shell application), for security and access control reason.
    What about root access?

Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    I usualy manage to disable overscan on the TV. IMO it's a much cleaner solution. Usually it's in the aspect ratio menu, under some weird name (like point for point). I understand the historical reasons for overscan, but it should've been killed a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rudregues View Post
    What about root access?
    quite possible, but no idea.

Another user voices their need for "drmrandr": set overscan in the terminal, have proper view of a tty, and settings inherited to any X/wayland sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by Serafean View Post
    I usualy manage to disable overscan on the TV. IMO it's a much cleaner solution. Usually it's in the aspect ratio menu, under some weird name (like point for point). I understand the historical reasons for overscan, but it should've been killed a couple of years ago.
    should've, but hasn't. there are a lot of TVs where you just cannot disable overscan no matter what you do.