Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Picks Up Slightly Better OpenGL 4.0 Support

Phoronix: Nouveau Picks Up Slightly Better OpenGL 4.0 Support

The open-source Nouveau NV50 and NVC0 Gallium3D drivers have advanced slightly in their conquest towards OpenGL 4.0 compliance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The good news is that once GL 4.0 is done, almost half of the extensions for 4.1 are done, and most of 4.2 looks like it's done already. It's possible that we'll have another situation with GL 4.1->4.2 as we had for GL 3.2->3.3 (once the previous version is done, we "skip" a version on certain chipsets).

Comment

It seems odd to talk about OpenGL 4.x for nouveau when reclocking isn't working yet for the (Kepler/Fermi/Maxwell) cards that support OpenGL 4.x
      Cart before horse?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        It seems odd to talk about OpenGL 4.x for nouveau when reclocking isn't working yet for the (Kepler/Fermi/Maxwell) cards that support OpenGL 4.x
        Cart before horse?
        Well, the two problems are orthogonal technically, and both have an influence on performance. Implementing OpenGL 4.0 requires software engineering and graphical skills along with some protocol reverse engineering, whereas reclocking requires a background in computer architecture and a lot of understanding of DRAM. Ilia happens to be quite successfull in the former task (thanks!), possibly making a bigger contribution this way than by diving into these tedious architectural bits.

Comment

Cart before horse?
          Reclocking is hard to work on, and requires tons of hardware and time for tracing, testing, etc. This is not available to everyone. But it's being worked on, although progress is slow. Why not improve the OpenGL driver in the meanwhile?

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
            Reclocking is hard to work on, and requires tons of hardware and time for tracing, testing, etc. This is not available to everyone. But it's being worked on, although progress is slow. Why not improve the OpenGL driver in the meanwhile?
            Well, then you are exactly not targeting user count for now.

<insert "Supported Features" XKCD here>

I would rather get involved, but that implies using Nouveaau if you're not a C programmer, I imagine the only ways to help are to distort the situation when talking about its performance to make more people use Nouveau (loss of honesty), or reporting bugs (loss of performance since you don't use the NVIDIA driver).
            Last edited by Calinou; 07 April 2014, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              Well, then you are exactly not targeting user count for now.
              Not sure when a claim was made that I was. I'm targeting learning about GPU's and 3D graphics, and improving driver quality. (And no, "reclocking" doesn't fit under quality.)

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              I imagine the only ways to help are to distort the situation when talking about its performance to make more people use Nouveau (loss of honesty), or reporting bugs (loss of performance since you don't use the NVIDIA driver).
              I don't think anyone condones lying about the state of the driver. If you feel like there's online docs that do so, let me know, I'll try to correct them. If you choose to use the blob driver, so be it; doesn't make much of a difference to me personally. It's definitely the way to go if you're looking to maximize performance, esp on Fermi+. Not sure what point you're trying to make.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
                Fair enough. Thanks.

Comment

Cart before horse?
                  Besides what imirkin said there is another point. Many people seems to think about a open source voluntary-based project as a software house product, where you can decide to move the human resources based on some priorities. Well, it's not, not at all. imirkin can and enjoys working on opengl, if you told him to stop working on that to concentrate on reclocking or whatever else he may decide to stop contributing to nouveau alltogether, because since you're not paid you must at least enjoy what you're doing. Now where's the gain?

Comment

Working...
                  X