NVIDIA's Releasing An Overclocking Linux Driver Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
    The windows version of this release reduced directX overhead by a lot, did anything similar happen for openGL on linux?
    People are seeing 20-100%+ speed ups with the new driver on windows.
    no clue, dont think the linux driver was released yet.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if they allow you to go above the 250w thresh hold they set for all of their modern cards.

I own a GTX 780 and I could max out all the volts and then find the highest clock frequencies until the card locked up the computer. The problem is sometimes the volts being set to high would cause the lock ups or freezing. This is because once you hit the 250w draw on the card it throttles or sometimes misbehaves.

There are a few bios's out there that unlock the true potential of the 780's and I am sure the 770's and such. 1.212v is max voltage that is safe on air. If you use water to cool your card you don't really have to worry about the chip or ram, it's the power phase's that are going to have the issue. Keeping them cool is the key to large overclocks on 780's.

Problem is, I doubt the OC'ing features will enable us to disable the watt thresh hold. I also doubt they will allow us to up the voltage. If they do allow us to up the voltage I doubt they will allow us to go over 1.212v.

I play games on windows, but I enjoy Linux for most everything else.

Zotac GTX 780 AMP! stock is 1006 core / 6208 mem

With modded bios from Skynet and MSI Afterburner overclocking tool.
      Running at 1.375v + LLC mod = 1.4v water cooled temps are around 30c idle 36c full load.
      GTX 780 @ 1333 core / 7200 mem 24/7 as I don't shut my computer off.

If we were to get these types of tools available in Linux, oh hell yeah!
      Last edited by MNKyDeth; 08 April 2014, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I guess it's out...

Comment

I'm not complaining or anything (just surprised), but was overclocking really not available at all with NVIDIA prior to this driver on Linux? I know Catalyst receives it's fair share of flak, but it's had official overclocking support for a good while now...

Comment

yes and no

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
            I'm not complaining or anything (just surprised), but was overclocking really not available at all with NVIDIA prior to this driver on Linux?
            It was avaialble for a while.
            Than drivers lost ability for overclock for a few years.
            And now ability is back!

Comment

Working...
            X