Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 8.04 KVM Benchmarks

Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.04 KVM Benchmarks

Back in January of 2007 we had looked at Linux Virtualization Performance as we had compared a running native OS (at that time, Fedora Core 6) against the same operating system running as a virtualized guest OS using Xen, QEMU with the (once closed-source) kqemu kernel module, and then KVM. In this testing we had found that KVM had performed well and won a number of the tests, but it wasn't the clear winner nor it had won by a substantial margin. However, the Kernel-based Virtual Machine had premiered with the Linux 2.6.20 kernel and it has matured quite a bit over the past year and a half since its christening. With that said, we are in the process of conducting new Linux virtualization benchmarks to see how these various implementations compare today. While the full comparison isn't yet ready, due to much interest surrounding Linux virtualization on desktops and servers, this morning we are publishing some initial benchmarks from the Phoronix Test Suite when running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS as the host OS and then running it as the guest operating system with hardware-based acceleration through KVM.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Ubuntu 8.04 KVM Benchmarks

While the full comparison isn't yet ready, due to much interest surrounding Linux virtualization on desktops and servers, this morning we are publishing some initial benchmarks from the Phoronix Test Suite when running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS as the host OS and then running it as the guest operating system with hardware-based acceleration through KVM.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=12348

I wouldn't dare touching the partitions on my work laptop. So, I installed Kubuntu using the "wubi installer". It installs _inside_ the Windows partition but gives you an ordinary grub menu, and, apparently runs natively. Please, compare with that one too! The installation ease is superior to virtual machines, to me.

Comment

It's good to see that the performance of virtual machines is improving. I might have to try this with my next system since none of my current ones running linux support hardware virtualization.

Edit: Do'h was reading results wrong nvm
      Last edited by Max Spain; 16 May 2008, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Max, less is best in all those tests. But the performance difference is so low, that...

I wanna see the multicore results.

Comment

KVM users may be interested in the article:

QEMU (The Kernel Virtual Machine) and Windows Vista.

How to Make a Website with free web hosting services & cheap web hosting for ecommerce & small business hosting. Create & Make a Free Website with Affordable web hosting provider free website promotion tools & web stats. Free Website Builder, Templates, & Best Free Web Hosting. How to Create a Website

Comment

IO access

These benchmarks are quite interesting, but the real point of virtualization is IO performance.

I'm waiting to see an IO (network and Disk) benchmark in KVM/XEN/VMware

Comment

Originally posted by jecuendet View Post
              These benchmarks are quite interesting, but the real point of virtualization is IO performance.

I'm waiting to see an IO (network and Disk) benchmark in KVM/XEN/VMware
              True. All those tests are 100% in userspace, so no wonder there is practically no slowdown. Running some more complex workload, which makes more transitions between kernel & user mode, would reveal interesting data.

Here are few benchmarks of KVM that I did when it was first released, Windows running under Linux: http://www.linuxinsight.com/finally-...for-linux.html

Comment

Michael et al,...

Did you guys do any comparisons between Windows under KVM-Qemu and native Windows?

I would love to see some comparisons.

Comment

Did you guys do any comparisons between Windows under KVM-Qemu and native Windows?

Well, at least it would be good to know if you plan to do any.

Comment

This may be of some interest:

Compiling the Kernel Virtual Machine (version 71).

How to Make a Website with free web hosting services & cheap web hosting for ecommerce & small business hosting. Create & Make a Free Website with Affordable web hosting provider free website promotion tools & web stats. Free Website Builder, Templates, & Best Free Web Hosting. How to Create a Website

Comment

Working...
                    X