Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midori 0.5.8 Browser Pulls In New WebKit2 Code

Phoronix: Midori 0.5.8 Browser Pulls In New WebKit2 Code

The lightweight Midori open-source web-browser was released this week for Linux systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd like to disable AdBlock (at least for Phoronix), but the methods that a lot of the ads use are unacceptable to me (requiring me to click to see the page, gross overuse of animation/Flash, data mining my browser history to offer related products, etc.). Yes, I can turn on Flashblock, but then few ads get through and I'm left seeing a bunch of Flashblock placeholders.

Sorry, but until advertisers stop being evil (not holding my breath), AdBlock stays on.

Comment

Indeed... adblock stays on. Phoronix is just aweful with it off and with it on the grammar is still quite horrible enough to not merit any donation from me. I mean good grief often some of your sentences don't even make any sense at all!

Comment

Is there a plugin to block unrelated mid-sentence rants about plugins I might be using?

Ad blocking is not about depriving someone of their income. It's about protecting my privacy. If your business model centers around letting other companies invade my privacy, then your business model is broken.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
          Indeed... adblock stays on. Phoronix is just aweful with it off and with it on the grammar is still quite horrible enough to not merit any donation from me. I mean good grief often some of your sentences don't even make any sense at all!
          I can't believe you complain about grammar when you don't even know how to use a comma...

Comment

I'm not asking you to turn off AdBlock... Nor am I the editor of a popular yet often annoying website.

If you find it hard to believe that I could miss a comma occasionally... you must be awfully sceptical of just about everything.

At least you don't have to view advertisements I post or pay me to view my lazy grammar . Heh, to think I used to try to stay on topic on this site LOL.
            Last edited by cb88; 06 April 2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
              aweful
              It's spelled awful not aweful, don't complain about grammar. Not to mention Michael is German so English is likely not his first language. Besides, benchmarks take a lot of time and effort for little reward.

Comment

Article on Phoronix about Midori:
                63 words about the actual topic, 56 words complaining about people that don't want to see ads. So even without having to look at the ads the informational value of this article is unbelievably low, it seems that the article itself is an ad for Phoronix, though using words like "deprive" rather indicates that you rather want to somehow pressure your readers to pay you.

And you wonder that this business model isn't working that well?

Comment

The last time I tried disabling adblock on phoronix was a while ago and it made loading times significantly slower (my internet connection is not too fast).

deprive web publishers of their income

Anyway, let's see if midori is going to be more lightweight than firefox/chromium once it has become a full featured browser.

It's the default browser in elementary os by the way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzSPGkOyzW8&t=203

Comment

I've adblock disabled, but really the advertisement on phoronix is the most intrusive and missplaced ads ever. It reminds me of those sites full of advertisement of the past decade.

The website looks old and definitively not appealing for new readers. The first time I saw Phoronix it looked like it wasn't being maintaned for years, and the "new look" (which is just changing the grey for more green) did not help. It's difficult to read and find interesting information, and sometimes it's just Michael complaining about adblock users -just like this article, I read it because I'm interested in elementary related projects, but half the article is you crying about adblock, what kind of writing is that?

I suggest Michael to cry less about people with ads and spent a moment to improve the website, the content and overall the placement and quality of ads.

Remember, readers don't owe anything to phoronix. Phoronix HAS TO deliver quality content and easy to read information. Don't just splash a lot of words on the screen of your users, make it appealing. Learn from Ars technica, omgubuntu, webupd8 and etc. They don't complaint about adblock users. They have far less ads and a lot less diary content. Ask yourself why.

Sorry for my English.
                    Last edited by alazar; 06 April 2014, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X