Bye bye BSD, Hello Linux: A Sys Admin's Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
    Funny you said this, because I actually emailed a suggestion about 2 years ago urging Apple to drop all *BSD as its backend and move on with Linux ahead. That would be Tim Cook's mark on Apple, but I have serious doubts as to his assertiveness, vision and chutzpah of the kind that Jobs had, to pull something like that off. Cook, IMHO, can be whipped into submission by his board, shareholders... He does not have the balls to stick his neck out the way Jobs did when he got sidelined ("fired") prior to his departure and establishing NeXT.

Clearly, from a technical standpoint, it would be hard for Apple to justify such a move - OS X, with its BSD roots, works well as it is. And even if it doesn't, Apple could afford to hire kernel hackers out the wazoo, to literally re-do each portion that might not be up to snuff...

I've always maintained that if someone like Microsoft, or perhaps now Apple - adopted Linux... they will have a financial as well as a technical renaissance assured for the next 20+ years.

The very source of Apple's success since Jobs took back the reigns was these two and only these two things - the paradigm shift from OS 9 to OS X (incorporating BSD/UNIX/Mach as the OS driving their new platform), and the second, equally as important event - moving away from PPC to Intel. These events introduced the pivotal moment, the paradigm shift that gave rise to the new Apple.

Cook could do the same - but I'm not yet seeing how Linux would make an equally great impact in their already successful OS/hardware portfolio, particularly when you consider they have resources to turn Mach or whatever BSD aspect of the underlying OS they want, inside out.... One thing I'd love to see is the death of Windows hastened as much as possible... so maybe something along them lines.... not sure...
    This is one of the most myopic statements about ``What Apple should do'' I've read, and one that has been repeated since 1996.

OS X's XNU Hybrid Kernel is a merging of I/O Kit which was designed with C++ and Mach which is optimized and designed for Objective-C.

Linux was suggested back in '96 and we laughed then, as nothing about Linux would mesh with NeXT Foundations of APIs, Toolkits, the works. Then a certain punk suggested it again for the iPhone/iPad and thus be the basis for iOS.

Again, a dead-end, but then again the only fools suggesting it don't know a goddamn thing about the entire Cocoa Frameworks, the toolkits, etc., etc.

OS X WILL NEVER BE BASED ON GODDAMN LINUX. And this is good for Apple and the Linux Communities, not to mention the FreeBSD/BSDs.

OS X and Linux co-habitate quite well, along-side FreeBSD.

OS X has 25 years of mature and proven Frameworks invested with Objective-C/C/C++ and Objective-C++ that goes back to 1989 and making Lotus Improv on NeXTSTEP.

Enjoy your options.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen
      endman you little troll, are you still doing this? I have read countless posts from you whining about BSD and all the latest problems it causes you. If you don't like the darn OS, why are you still investing so much time in running it to experience these issues?

If anyone wants a bit of a giggle, check out the OP's profile to see someone with a real BSD flavoured chip on their shoulder. Almost every single thread and post they have made is against BSD rather than anything actually constructive lol.
      A troll? No no no....

It's a form of public service done out of my own good will to inform people about things that they should really avoid because it would affect their freedom and productivity. I really care for these sorts of things and I'm out raged by the existence of proprietary software and BSD role in helping tyrants achieve that. I also love our children and grand-children and I want them to live in freedom from proprietary companies like M$, Apple and $un Micro$ystems that's why I'm focusing on BSD because with BSD licensed code there will be more proprietary slaveware in the future that our childern will be forced to use. At least with proprietary, there be about the same or less proprietary slaveware in the future.

Originally posted by kpedersen
      I vote to get this thread title changed to "Bye bye OS, Hello similar OS: A little troll's Story"
      You're a troll when you say this because the user experience of BSD is vastly different from the user experience of Linux. For one, Linux is furiously fast while BSD is shitting slow. Also, commandline tools in BSD are useless.

`ls <directory with lots of contents>` does not work why on GNU+Linux it does.

Comment

Originally posted by endman View Post
        Care to provide an example gens and backup your claims?

Comment

Originally posted by Del_ View Post
          Freedom to do what? Freedom for who? It all depends on what you want to accomplish. One thing that is overwhelmingly clear today is that we would have no free desktop without copy-left. For some of us, that is pretty important, also freebsd users.
          My definition of free license lines up perfectly with WTFPL:

Code:
          DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE 
                              Version 2, December 2004 

Copyright (C) 2004 Sam Hocevar <[email protected]> 

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified 
           copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long 
           as the name is changed. 

DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE 
             TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION 

0. You just DO WHAT THE FUCK YOU WANT TO
          Nobody can really take away your athor's right, whatever you write, it will be yours (As I understand it, in eyes of the law, source code is bound by the same rules as literature writers).

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
            My definition of free license lines up perfectly with WTFPL
            Freedom to do what? Freedom for who? As far as I can see it only gives you freedom to waste your life on code nobody will bother touching since it has an awkward license containing coarse language. Good luck with that. In some parallel universe this may be of interest, but I am a bit too earth bound for such discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by Del_ View Post
              Freedom to do what? Freedom for who? As far as I can see it only gives you freedom to waste your life on code nobody will bother touching since it has an awkward license containing coarse language. Good luck with that. In some parallel universe this may be of interest, but I am a bit too earth bound for such discussions.
              Well, I know for certain that Gentoo and Fedora accept that license and there are packages in their main tree.
              Perhaps other distros too, but I haven't really looked into other distros.

Comment

proprietary companies like M$, Apple and $un Micro$ystems
                What are your thoughts on Valve's Steam? The DRM deployed there is a massive attack on freedom and the GPL has been powerless to prevent it (even though Steam Linux utilizes GPL software).

`ls <directory with lots of contents>` does not work why on GNU+Linux it does.
                Honestly, I do admire your passion against proprietary code (I do agree with you on many issues relating to software freedom) but when you say things like this, you simply lose all credibility. No-one else seems to have a problem listing large directories using BSD utilities, so why are you?

If you directed your efforts on attacking companies like Valve, Microsoft and Apple you might stand a chance at making a difference. Currently you are attacking an operating system that just happens to use a specific license. Even if you "won" and managed to destroy the BSD family of operating systems, Microsoft Server 2012 would just move in and take up the slack.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
                  Well, I know for certain that Gentoo and Fedora accept that license and there are packages in their main tree.
                  Perhaps other distros too, but I haven't really looked into other distros.
                  libcaca can be found afaik in most all distros

people, rly
                  it's all the same crap
                  unix, solaris, bsd, linux
                  they all have good and bad sides, depending on your needs (even linux)

bsd has taken from linux
                  linux has taken from bsd
                  both have taken from unix and plan9
                  (i think unix has taken from bsd too)
                  osx... i don't want to talk about it..

i won't talk about details since all people seem to care about is licenses and not about real things like security, performance or flexibility
                  nobody really gives a f about licenses...

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                    Do you have some data on this? I care about lisense but u can say maybe u do not count because I dont own a 5 billion dollar company.

But again can u show my numbers that NOBODY Cares about lisenses? At least when I try to copy a windows cd or a game from somebody else, suddenly this company cares about their lisenses and their copyright.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                      libcaca can be found afaik in most all distros

people, rly
                      it's all the same crap
                      unix, solaris, bsd, linux
                      they all have good and bad sides, depending on your needs (even linux)

bsd has taken from linux
                      linux has taken from bsd
                      both have taken from unix and plan9
                      (i think unix has taken from bsd too)
                      osx... i don't want to talk about it..

i won't talk about details since all people seem to care about is licenses and not about real things like security, performance or flexibility
                      Run for president. I'm Canadian but I'd still vote for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X