Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HL2-Based GoldenEye: Source Gets Open-Sourced

Phoronix: HL2-Based GoldenEye: Source Gets Open-Sourced

For those Linux gamers that want to reminisce over the fond days of GoldenEye 007 from two decades ago on the Nintendo 64, it will hopefully be easier going forward. GoldenEye: Source has gone open-source...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Its a shame that the game cannot appear in steam greenlight.

Comment

Can anyone tell what's so great about GoldenEye?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not claiming it isn't.
      It's just that I never played it and now and then someone
      comes up saying this was one of the best games for N64.

Comment

It was so great mostly because it was the first console FPS to get it right, from the control scheme to the graphics. The gameplay was thought especially for the system and the AI was well ahead of its time, with enemies hiding behind boxes and diving aside as you were trying to shoot them. It was perhaps the first real console FPS, as its predecessors were almost all either conversions from computers (quite unplayable), or utter crap. We did so much better since then, including on computers and modern consoles, but it still has some shining when you play it on the original system. The magnificent Perfect Dark built up upon this formula and pushed things even further.

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
          It was so great mostly because it was the first console FPS to get it right, from the control scheme to the graphics. The gameplay was thought especially for the system and the AI was well ahead of its time, with enemies hiding behind boxes and diving aside as you were trying to shoot them. It was perhaps the first real console FPS, as its predecessors were almost all either conversions from computers (quite unplayable), or utter crap. We did so much better since then, including on computers and modern consoles, but it still has some shining when you play it on the original system. The magnificent Perfect Dark built up upon this formula and pushed things even further.
          Thanks, I might give the Source mod a try if it got ported over.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            Can anyone tell what's so great about GoldenEye?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not claiming it isn't.
            It's just that I never played it and now and then someone
            comes up saying this was one of the best games for N64.
            If you never played it, it will be nothing special, it only special for back in the day, since it was one of the first objective based FPS (most FPS been Doom style until that point), one of the very few good movie based game and was basically the best multiplayer FPS on console until Perfect Dark (which is basically the spiritual sequel of GoldenEye), which kept that spot until Halo.

Comment

Perfect Dark source mod

I loved GoldenEye on the N64, but Perfect Dark was perfection. I am glad the GoldenEye lives on, but I really wish the PD source mod got a similar injection of life: http://www.pdark-mod.com/.

PD was doomed by Microsoft buying Rare, and a lot of their developers leaving to form Free Radical Designs. Whose game TimeSplitters shares a lot of the feel of GoldenEye/PD engine; even if it's a new code base.

Comment

Originally posted by omer666 View Post
                That, plus it was so much fun playing up to 4 players on a split screen! Really great game.

Comment

Originally posted by jsa1983 View Post
                  That, plus it was so much fun playing up to 4 players on a split screen! Really great game.
                  That would be a dream if GoldenEye Source on Linux supported split screen gaming - eliminating the need for multiple computers or multiple monitors. Just like the original game.

(It looks to me like those behind GE:S fully intend on bringing it to Linux:

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

)

In general we need much more split screen gaming. Who doesn't have a big screen these days?

Comment

On my case works good on wine

Comment

Working...
                    X