No announcement yet.

Adobe Flash Player 10 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't see that post before and only caught the phrase on some other blog/web-forum. I didn't give the rumor much credit (as easily discarded by the blog you point to) simply because of the amount of work that would imply. Thanks for pointing me to the source, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
      Actually there is a rumor that FF4 will move to WebKit and QT4 instead of GTK. There is somewhere a quote from a Mozilla developer saying "I'm surprised we kept Gecko alive for as long as we have" or something to that effect, implying the move to WebKit, some say it is not such a good idea to have more than one Open Source web rendering engine. Now WebKit has proven to be advancing rather well and seems to be quickly becoming the open source web rendering standard. As far as QT over GTK, I'm not 100% sure about that, but about the switch to WebKit, it seems like a no brainer, IMO.

That's what I recall as well, but be damned if I can find that link anymore. BTW that wasn't the blog I recall seeing it on.

*Edit* Found it, then I looked at the date. http://blog.loxal.net/2008/03/firefo...ework-and.html
      Last edited by deanjo; 19 May 2008, 09:49 PM.

Comment

You believe everything that was posted as april fool, do you

Comment

Is it only me who thinks that to call WebKit "Apple's" is wrong or what? In the end, WebKit started as KHTML, the HTML rendering for KDE, IIRC, then used by Safari and THEN switched its name WebKit (or did I get things wrong?), so Apple actually adopted KDE's implementation. Not the other way around.

Comment

Yes, but I think KDE 4 can use webkit too now. So it comes back to KDE this way.

Comment

Merely a name change, not the underlying implementation or technology

Comment

WebKit was a fork off of KHTML and evolved into it's own separate project with Apple submitting back code into the KHTML project but alot of that code would no longer work in KHTML. KHTML is still used by Konq but as of KDE 4.1 you will have a choice of engines for Konq, KHTML or WebKit eventually with WebKit replacing KTHML. KDE 4.1 will also have Webkit in Plasma allowing items such as Apple dashboard widgets.
                Last edited by deanjo; 20 May 2008, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks for this useful info.I will try this advance 3d effect capabilities flash with my BBC iplayer.Some time old flash caused problems and irretate me all this.

Comment

Working...
                  X