Adobe Flash Player 10 For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by apaige View Post
    Ahem, it's a Release Candidate, it's as "stable" as it's going to get. The developers themselves say RC1 will be the definitive version unless a major bug is found.

To their credit, rc1 fixes some 2D performance issues that were still there with beta 5 (hovering hypertext links on wikipedia for instance was very slow). And btw, the opera build I just tried is a beta, not even RC material.
    bugs != optimisation
    And FF3 is a major version change unlike opera which means it'll have more problems (see KDE4). I agree that opera tends to whip FF but some of the differences you are experiencing will become smaller/non-existence.

Comment

I don't know what you're talking about. In all likelyhood, RC1 will be released as 3.0 *as is*. It also fixes a lot of performance issues that FF2 had, so going back is not an option. If performance improves with future revisions, great.

Comment

Originally posted by apaige View Post
        I don't know what you're talking about. In all likelyhood, RC1 will be released as 3.0 *as is*. It also fixes a lot of performance issues that FF2 had, so going back is not an option. If performance improves with future revisions, great.
        I didn't realise that they wanted to release it after just one RC I though they where going to spend some time improving the performance. Whoops.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
          I didn't remember the client worked on the touch but as far as how well you think the iphone is selling in the UK you are sorely mistake, they are currently sold out because O2 isn't receiving more (leading to the speculation about a 3G version) and googling "iphone sales UK" or the like will give you tons of sites talking about it not selling well. The UK market wants phones with 3G if you pay that sort of money not a phone using an old slower standard.
          O2 still sold out their allotment, @ the end of Dec they had sold 190k of them, in the middle of April they O2 and Carphone cut the price to clear out the remaining lot. The figures hold water. Yes, I agree the UK wants 3G and there are a lot of people holding off purchasing one until a 3G version is available. When / if that comes around you will see a resurgence in sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
            I didn't realise that they wanted to release it after just one RC I though they where going to spend some time improving the performance. Whoops.
            Not many projects consider poor performance a show stopper. Heck with mozilla's track record (ie memleaks in FF2) some performance tweaks may never arrive in FF3 especially since FF4 is pretty much a complete start from scratch project now that they are switching to WebKit.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Heck with mozilla's track record (ie memleaks in FF2) some performance tweaks may never arrive in FF3 especially since FF4 is pretty much a complete start from scratch project now that they are switching to WebKit.
              Since when did Firefox decide to move to WebKit for version 4? That's huge news, the kind that would be splashed everywhere. This is the first place I've heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
                Since when did Firefox decide to move to WebKit for version 4? That's huge news, the kind that would be splashed everywhere. This is the first place I've heard of it.
                My bad, I was thinking of Konq and Epiphany

Comment

O2 still sold out their allotment, @ the end of Dec they had sold 190k of them, in the middle of April they O2 and Carphone cut the price to clear out the remaining lot. The figures hold water. Yes, I agree the UK wants 3G and there are a lot of people holding off purchasing one until a 3G version is available. When / if that comes around you will see a resurgence in sales.
                  When/if the 3G version comes out they will sell like hot cakes that I can agree on. I honestly didn't realise after the poor initial launch that the sales picked up I don't think many sites reported/I don't pay enough attention.

Comment

My bad, I was thinking of Konq and Epiphany
                    Actually there is a rumor that FF4 will move to WebKit and QT4 instead of GTK. There is somewhere a quote from a Mozilla developer saying "I'm surprised we kept Gecko alive for as long as we have" or something to that effect, implying the move to WebKit, some say it is not such a good idea to have more than one Open Source web rendering engine. Now WebKit has proven to be advancing rather well and seems to be quickly becoming the open source web rendering standard. As far as QT over GTK, I'm not 100% sure about that, but about the switch to WebKit, it seems like a no brainer, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                      Actually there is a rumor that FF4 will move to WebKit and QT4 instead of GTK. There is somewhere a quote from a Mozilla developer saying "I'm surprised we kept Gecko alive for as long as we have" or something to that effect, implying the move to WebKit, some say it is not such a good idea to have more than one Open Source web rendering engine. Now WebKit has proven to be advancing rather well and seems to be quickly becoming the open source web rendering standard. As far as QT over GTK, I'm not 100% sure about that, but about the switch to WebKit, it seems like a no brainer, IMO.
                      http://blog.vlad1.com/2008/05/06/well-isnt-that-qt/ is where I think the QT rumours are coming from as people don't read it all the way through and go of yelling firefox is changing to QT.

Comment

Working...
                      X