Upgrading The Linux Kernel, Mesa/X.Org Packages On Ubuntu 14.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
    Like the article sayes, binery driveres. Also testing and custom patches.
    So is it preferable to avoid this upgrade? What do you think about?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      So is it preferable to avoid this upgrade? What do you think about?
      For your own system, go ahead and try the new kernel. You can still use the grub menus (if you're using grub) to boot the old kernel if the new one doesn't work. That's the nice thing... I install release-candidate version kernels all the time without any fear because I know that I have an old working kernel to boot just in case something goes wrong.

For Ubuntu 14.04, they probably will end up shipping 3.13 because they haven't had enough time to test the 3.14 kernel before their shipping date for Ubuntu 14.04. It's not that kernel 3.14 is known to have major issues or anything, just that they haven't had time to test it sufficiently and that any binary drivers (nvidia/catalyst/others) might not yet compile against the new kernel version.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        For your own system, go ahead and try the new kernel. You can still use the grub menus (if you're using grub) to boot the old kernel if the new one doesn't work. That's the nice thing... I install release-candidate version kernels all the time without any fear because I know that I have an old working kernel to boot just in case something goes wrong.

For Ubuntu 14.04, they probably will end up shipping 3.13 because they haven't had enough time to test the 3.14 kernel before their shipping date for Ubuntu 14.04. It's not that kernel 3.14 is known to have major issues or anything, just that they haven't had time to test it sufficiently and that any binary drivers (nvidia/catalyst/others) might not yet compile against the new kernel version.
        ok thanks for answer, I'll test new kernel on next imminent release.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
          Why do you think they lost their touch?
          Because they aren't building nearly as often as they used to. Rather than "fresh X crack" it's more like "stale X crack".

Comment

Working...
          X