Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrading The Linux Kernel, Mesa/X.Org Packages On Ubuntu 14.04

Quote Originally Posted by AJenbo View Post
    Like the article sayes, binery driveres. Also testing and custom patches.
    So is it preferable to avoid this upgrade? What do you think about?

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael5 View Post
    So is it preferable to avoid this upgrade? What do you think about?
    For your own system, go ahead and try the new kernel. You can still use the grub menus (if you're using grub) to boot the old kernel if the new one doesn't work. That's the nice thing... I install release-candidate version kernels all the time without any fear because I know that I have an old working kernel to boot just in case something goes wrong.

For Ubuntu 14.04, they probably will end up shipping 3.13 because they haven't had enough time to test the 3.14 kernel before their shipping date for Ubuntu 14.04. It's not that kernel 3.14 is known to have major issues or anything, just that they haven't had time to test it sufficiently and that any binary drivers (nvidia/catalyst/others) might not yet compile against the new kernel version.

Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    For your own system, go ahead and try the new kernel. You can still use the grub menus (if you're using grub) to boot the old kernel if the new one doesn't work. That's the nice thing... I install release-candidate version kernels all the time without any fear because I know that I have an old working kernel to boot just in case something goes wrong.

For Ubuntu 14.04, they probably will end up shipping 3.13 because they haven't had enough time to test the 3.14 kernel before their shipping date for Ubuntu 14.04. It's not that kernel 3.14 is known to have major issues or anything, just that they haven't had time to test it sufficiently and that any binary drivers (nvidia/catalyst/others) might not yet compile against the new kernel version.
    ok thanks for answer, I'll test new kernel on next imminent release.

Quote Originally Posted by tmpdir View Post
    Why do you think they lost their touch?
    Because they aren't building nearly as often as they used to. Rather than "fresh X crack" it's more like "stale X crack".

Is there a similarly easy way for Debian? I have built Xorg and Mesa from git but I'd rather not do it again. Right now I only build glamor-egl and xserver-xorg-video-ati when needed for glamor support. That's easy enough but the full stack it just too much if you just want your system to work.
    And if anybody has insight into when Julian will update the Debian stack...