X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am just glad that XFX...

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Interesting to see there are some great performance wins for radeon in Xonotic High test when compared with fglrx from january . Seems like 7850 and 6870 with radeon there has nearly double performance

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

http://openbenchmarking.org/prospect...a2eae41ba1df4b
      And GPUTest Furmark is unusualy slightly better on 7850 with radeon then with fglrx 2217 vs 2109 .

Is this because of different CPU used or?

Comment

So if I wanted to buy an entry level AMD graphics card for use with the opensource driver, what's the best option in the $100-150 range? The 265? I know there's a few radeon driver devs around here, would be nice if they could lend an opinion

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          what's the best option in the $100-150 range? The 265?
          Seems like But depend is it straight at $100 range or $150 You can get R7 250X for $100, R7 260X for $120 and R7 265 for $150 .

Comment

So if I wanted to buy an entry level AMD graphics card for use with the opensource driver, what's the best option in the $100-150 range? The 265? I know there's a few radeon driver devs around here, would be nice if they could lend an opinion
            If you happen to have an FM2 motherboard Kaveri might be interesting for you. Its what I'm going with personally, and then probably upgrade to Carrizo next year. $170 for the new A10-7850k, comes with R7 260 based graphics. Of course if you have an Intel board then this doesn't work out, but if you happen to already have an FM2 CPU then it might be interesting to check out.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              If you happen to have an FM2 motherboard Kaveri might be interesting for you. Its what I'm going with personally, and then probably upgrade to Carrizo next year. $170 for the new A10-7850k, comes with R7 260 based graphics. Of course if you have an Intel board then this doesn't work out, but if you happen to already have an FM2 CPU then it might be interesting to check out.
              Couple of quick tweaks, probably what you intended to say anyways...

1. you need an FM2+ mobo to run Kaveri, not FM2

2. Kaveri graphics are the same architecture/generation as R7 260/X but has fewer CUs and runs at lower clock speeds... so 250X and higher dGPUs should all be faster
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                A10-7850k, comes with R7 260 based graphics.
                Just keep in mind that APUs are different, it has R7 based graphic chip but APUs have different bandwith and core config then discrete cards so it is expected to perform like entry/middle level R7 discrete... in real world tests A10-7850k graphics perform somewhere in between R7 240 and R7 250 discrete cards and if those two have GDDR5 then what will happen But no way that someone can expect from A10-7850k to have R7 260 performance of discrete card . Just my 2 cents .
                Last edited by dungeon; 05 April 2014, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Couple of quick tweaks, probably what you intended to say anyways...

1. you need an FM2+ mobo to run Kaveri, not FM2

2. Kaveri graphics are the same architecture/generation as R7 260/X but has fewer CUs and runs at lower clock speeds... so 250X and higher dGPUs should all be faster
                  Whoops, thanks for catching that Bridgman. I really need to stop trying to post from my phone -.- Because it never works out well. And true, though the clock speeds issues is slightly mitigated by the fact that a lot of users are getting very stable overclocks to over 1ghz for the GPU on Kaveri. Still not -exactly- the same but it does help. Personally for me getting a dGPU would be overkill anyway as most of the games I want to play are "Last gen" like Mass Effect / Dragon Age and are only at 720p. Also I want to see what AMD is gonna be putting out when it comes to GCN 1.3 / 2.0 before I drop $100-200 on a dedicated card.

Slightly on / off topic, to all the AMD guys in the forums... grats on Kaveri Got a MicroATX build coming together for a slightly overclocked integrated-only microATX build for light to medium gaming and i've only heard good things about similar builds. I know some reviewers gave Kaveri a couple docked points because of CPU performance in some cases, but I am very much looking forward to dropping in Carrizo next year and seeing what AMD can do at 65TDP and Excavator.
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Anything that runs on r600g. So a new 6xxx if you can find one, or a rebrand of such.

Comment

My fresh 7790 vs 6770 bench

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

Working...
                      X