13-Way Radeon Graphics On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
    I agree somethings wrong with the test set-up the numbers are way off on the R7 260x. It's last generation comparable card is the HD 7790. There is no way that the 260x should be out performed by the much older 6450, which isn't even a gaming card in most peoples eyes. Even an R7 260 non x would have a hard time putting up such pitiful numbers.
    Obviously something is wrong, its probably just not getting DPM enabled for some reason and therefore running at the lowest possible clockspeeds it supports.

*Whispers* Maybe someone messed up a goto? >.>
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Yeah, the numbers seem low even for dpm being disabled and the GPU running at low boot clocks.

I don't know for sure if the 14.04 kernel picked up the 3.14 patches to fix and enable dpm on CI parts (Kabini, Kaveri, Bonaire, Hawaii) but something sure doesn't seem right.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Yeah, the numbers seem low even for dpm being disabled and the GPU running at low boot clocks.

I don't know for sure if the 14.04 kernel picked up the 3.14 patches to fix and enable dpm on CI parts (Kabini, Kaveri, Bonaire, Hawaii) but something sure doesn't seem right.
        Bridgman, isn't the A10-7850k a R7 260? Would that also be unusually slow?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
          Bridgman, isn't the A10-7850k a R7 260? Would that also be unusually slow?
          The A10-7850k is a Kaveri. the R7 260 is a Bonaire. Both have the same 3D engine on them, but neither should be unusually slow with kernel 3.14 or newer where dpm is enabled. None of my bonaire or kaveri systems are that slow.

Comment

I'm still having problems with the frame rate dropping over time issue with my 7790. I found that if I alt-tab out of fullscreen and go back in again the frame rate goes back to a smooth 60. But once again over time drops down. I can do this twice or three times before it no longer works. I'm sure they're working on it so just gotta sit tight.

Comment

If I believe the data on Wikipedia and x.org RadeonFeature web page:

the Radeon R7 260X (codenamed BONAIRE) is just an overclocked version of the Radeon HD 7790.
              the Radeon R7 265 (codenamed PITCAIRN) is just a slightly overclocked version of the Radeon HD 7850.

Both use the radeonsi mesa driver.

If I have to buy one, I would definitively take the R7 265 (more shader cores and a 256-bit VRAM bus).
              Last edited by whitecat; 04 April 2014, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre View Post
                I'm still having problems with the frame rate dropping over time issue with my 7790. I found that if I alt-tab out of fullscreen and go back in again the frame rate goes back to a smooth 60. But once again over time drops down. I can do this twice or three times before it no longer works. I'm sure they're working on it so just gotta sit tight.
                I haven't seen this behavior and no one has reported anything similar. Please file a bug (https://bugs.freedesktop.org). Bugs that aren't reported don't often get fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  The A10-7850k is a Kaveri. the R7 260 is a Bonaire. Both have the same 3D engine on them, but neither should be unusually slow with kernel 3.14 or newer where dpm is enabled. None of my bonaire or kaveri systems are that slow.
                  Damaged card maybe? Bad vBIOS?

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
                    If I believe the data on Wikipedia and x.org RadeonFeature web page:

the Radeon R7 260X (codenamed BONAIRE) is just an overclocked version of the Radeon HD 7790.
                    the Radeon R7 265 (codenamed PITCAIRN) is just a slightly overclocked version of the Radeon HD 7850.

Both use the radeonsi mesa driver.

If I have to buy one, I would definitively take the R7 265 (more shader cores and a 256-bit VRAM bus).
                    Do you have any idea how it(the 265) would compare to the nvidia GTX 660 with the binary blob by chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      Damaged card maybe? Bad vBIOS?
                      Not damaged, given it was running the blob flawlessly yesterday: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0_source&num=2

Comment

Working...
                      X