Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, Microsoft just open sourced most of .NET...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, Microsoft just open sourced most of .NET...

Perhaps the highlight of the announcement today was that the company will be releasing its Roslyn compiler stack as open source under the Apache 2.0 license. Roslyn includes a C# and Visual Basic.NET compiler, offering what Microsoft calls a "compiler as a service."
    I'm sure the people who have been busy bashing C# and .NET and MONO are going to have their heads explode over this...

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
    http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-chunk-of-net/

I'm sure the people who have been busy bashing C# and .NET and MONO are going to have their heads explode over this...
    Oh, how nice - a poison, now for free. They are also planning to make windumbs free for 9" or less devices. But both are still proprietary or in-house licensed. Nice try, M$ - but the big problem is: you are too rotten to be given any chance of hope.

checking head - its all in place. Are you sure its not your head exploding now?

// hah, noted Icasa is behind this. Nice try, mole. Try harder!
    Last edited by brosis; 04 April 2014, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      Oh, how nice - a poison, now for free. They are also planning to make windumbs free for 9" or less devices. But both are still proprietary or in-house licensed. Nice try, M$ - but the big problem is: you are too rotten to be given any chance of hope.

checking head - its all in place. Are you sure its not your head exploding now?

// hah, noted Icasa is behind this. Nice try, mole. Try harder!

unlike 9". they first made it public under Apache 2.0 and then announced it. and as much as my conspiracy theory wired brains try to find loophole... there isn't one. for reference... roslyn (this is just one of projects in this line) is next version of c#,vb and since it is published under apache it also means it guarantees you right to all patents unlike old ECMA approach

problem with ppl like you is judging without checking the facts.

Comment

So, Microsoft just open sourced most of .NET...
        I would like to see the reference for "most". AFAICT, Microsoft open sourced only the Roslyn compiler stack. They plan to open source more libraries and technologies, but that hasn't happened yet.

This would be akin to Sun open sourcing javac and hotspot, but not the Java class library.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          I would like to see the reference for "most". AFAICT, Microsoft open sourced only the Roslyn compiler stack. They plan to open source more libraries and technologies, but that hasn't happened yet.

This would be akin to Sun open sourcing javac and hotspot, but not the Java class library.
          They released a lot of libraries, in fact I was surprised. Some of them were released in previous releases but they still count: MVC3, MVC4, DLR, Entity, etc.

I think they do want something like: .Net anywhere so they want that Mono will not be a "second citizen". But still, I think that is a great move from MS, sadly it will not matter for Mono haters anyway: facts are just to be dismissed

Comment

Originally posted by ciplogic View Post
            They released a lot of libraries, in fact I was surprised. Some of them were released in previous releases but they still count: MVC3, MVC4, DLR, Entity, etc.

I think they do want something like: .Net anywhere so they want that Mono will not be a "second citizen". But still, I think that is a great move from MS, sadly it will not matter for Mono haters anyway: facts are just to be dismissed
            We aren't mono haters. We're people that have been burned by MS in the past by its "embrace, extend, extinguish" policies. They are not to be trusted. They have made half gestures like this in the past.

Fool us once, shame on them. Fool us twice, shame on us.

Comment

Looks like Microsoft is slowly moving to Google-like business model?

Comment

Nope. Its too little and too late. And only morons would trust MS (due to their previous actions). You see, .NET even lacks even just standard widgets set which can be used by everyone to create truly crossplatform apps. On windows there're WinForms and WPF. For Linux there is GTK#. You see, there is no common set of widgets devs can use to make crossplatform program. EPIC FAIL. I do not see where this blatant idiocy got fixed. MS just did some lame PR and opensourced some crap nobody really needs. Would not help 'em and their footpads too much. Opensource is not about giving free garbage from your pocket. Its about free and open collaboration. That's where MS suxx so hard. They have virtually no idea how it supposed to work. Their overbloated and useless .NET stuff is going to crash. Looks like they're getting idea, he-he-he.

Seriously,
                1) If someone want to make crossplatform desktop app, they would be better trying Qt. It works virtually everywhere, haves same set of widgets for most platforms and so you do not have to rewrite half of program to support new platform - its really up to library itself to get idea how to provide it usual widgets made of platform specific stuff. With .NET you simply can't do that as there is no common widgets set. And rewriting half of your program just to port it to new platform is an blatant idiocy as of 2014.
                2) If someone want something non-speed critical and networked, HTML5 would be their bet. Interestingly MS isn't required here and does not really defines future. Their silly attempt with metro is just EPIC FAIL one more time. Not to mention they shown their .NET footpads that .NET is about to die as it can't be good in anything. Neither it suited for crossplatform desktop/native programs, nor it good for web.

Tbh I havent seen examples where .NET would actually help devs to achieve their goals and would do something good in long term. It rather causes ton of headaches and binds you to windows. It suxx as of 2014 if someone haven't got it yet.
                Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 04 April 2014, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                  Looks like Microsoft is slowly moving to Google-like business model?
                  You mean, Microsoft's primary income would be advertising and the free software and services would be the bait to collect personal information? I hope not!

I think Microsoft is realizing that giving out open source (without strings attached) software frameworks is more likely to attract developers. Everyone can contribute and widespread usage and development helps create even more business (and not necessarily with Microsoft alone).

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                    http://roslyn.codeplex.com/SourceCon...st#License.txt

unlike 9". they first made it public under Apache 2.0 and then announced it. and as much as my conspiracy theory wired brains try to find loophole... there isn't one. for reference... roslyn (this is just one of projects in this line) is next version of c#,vb and since it is published under apache it also means it guarantees you right to all patents unlike old ECMA approach

problem with ppl like you is judging without checking the facts.
                    The fact that released it under apache 2.0 and not true copyleft licenses like GPL and AGPL clearly shows how hypocritical they are. It shows that M$'s claim of freely .NET is nothing but bullshit. Nothing can be more clear. they will take all the changes made by developers on the Open source version and make their next version closed.

It's so obvious, only those who are dumb or are proprietary f*&ks can't see it.
                    Last edited by beetreetime; 05 April 2014, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X