Thread: Intel Revises The Weston RandR Protocol

Default Intel Revises The Weston RandR Protocol

Phoronix: Intel Revises The Weston RandR Protocol

Earlier in the month an Intel developer published an initial RandR-like protocol for Wayland's Weston. That proposed protocol has now been revised following much feedback from developers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY0MTE

Unfortunately it's not mentioned in the article, but this extension is only meant for development and testing only, akin to Xtest (but ideally never exposed to actual users). There will not be a "mode-setting protocol" in core wayland that will work everywhere; such things are the job of compositor build-in UI.

I clearly favor the idea of the application not having any control on the resolution (of course it can give an indication on what would be best, but it shouldn't enforce).

For example, playing fullscreen Wine with lower resolution than the screen.
    Wine crashes -> desktop keeps the lower resolution.

With what's apparently going to be for Wayland, Wine would only have suggested the resolution.
    As long as Wine would have been running and presenting a surface which is fullscreen, the resolution would have been the lower one.
    When Wine crashes, the compositor has no longer this fullscreen surface advising the low resolution, so it gets back to the best resolution.

This is the kind of improvement one can expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancurio View Post
    Unfortunately it's not mentioned in the article, but this extension is only meant for development and testing only, akin to Xtest (but ideally never exposed to actual users). There will not be a "mode-setting protocol" in core wayland that will work everywhere; such things are the job of compositor build-in UI.
    Really? Well that is fairly fucking retarded. Why should we have to use different tools just because we use a different compositor? Also, UI? How about no. I use xrandr on the command line, and that is how I want to use waylandrandr

Quote Originally Posted by KellyClowers View Post
    Really? Well that is fairly fucking retarded. Why should we have to use different tools just because we use a different compositor? Also, UI? How about no. I use xrandr on the command line, and that is how I want to use waylandrandr
    command line is a UI. What you are thinking of is GUI.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyClowers View Post
    That's Xorg-think, where you have one monolithic code base that everyone uses. With compositors today, you already cannot adjust their settings with one tool, you need a different one to tweak mutter vs xfwm4. With wayland, the compositor is replacing Xorg, so obviously all settings will now be compositor specific, including resolution/mode.
    The build-in GUI part is about security. Random programs shouldn't be able to change display specific settings arbitrarily.