AMD Radeon R9 290 Linux Update With Source Engine On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon R9 290 Linux Update With Source Engine On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Phoronix: AMD Radeon R9 290 Linux Update With Source Engine On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

With the 15-way Radeon/GeForce Source Engine comparison on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS that was done earlier in the week there were some Phoronix readers disappointed that there weren't any Radeon R9 290 "Hawaii" graphics card results. Well, those results are now available today with benchmarks from Counter-Strike: Source, Team Fortress 2, Portal, and Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, for those Steam on Linux gamers curious about its performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice benchmark - with real world games :-) Thanks!

The thing is though, that basically all the graphics cards beyond the GT 650 delivers plenty of frames per second in all the benchmarks. Comparing frame rates beyond 200 FPS is not really interesting, as it may not be representative of the performance differences when tested with more demanding loads. So to make the benchmarks interesting they should either include some other relevant parameters like minimum frame rate or stuttering or they should include more demanding games like Metro.

Comment

quadro

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: AMD Radeon R9 290 Linux Update With Source Engine On Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

With the 15-way Radeon/GeForce Source Engine comparison on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS that was done earlier in the week there were some Phoronix readers disappointed that there weren't any Radeon R9 290 "Hawaii" graphics card results. Well, those results are now available today with benchmarks from Counter-Strike: Source, Team Fortress 2, Portal, and Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, for those Steam on Linux gamers curious about its performance.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20103
      hello and thank for your site.

I would like to see tests with some quadro (600,2000) nvidia cards !

Comment

Thanks Michel .

Just to point out R9 290 is comparabile with 780 (non Ti) This R9 290 (non X) is expected to perform in between GTX 770 and GTX 780Ti and Portal shows that on both 2560x1600 and 1920x1080 which is missed in article

Other test mostly hit CPU botleneck as Michel say and Radeons just hits that earlier, so no one can say exactly what will happen if more advanced features are used like AA, AF etc... but i expect in these cases from Nvidia to loose more of its fps level then Radeon .

Comment

Too bad there are no minimal/maximal FPS reports. What about enabling MSAA and AF?

Originally posted by Veto View Post
          Very nice benchmark - with real world games :-) Thanks!
          Any game is a real world game. The Source games are not optimal for benchmarking - long loading times, not too modern rendering techniques, big file sizes...

Comment

Originally posted by letochagone View Post

I don't have any Quadro hardware....
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Why should you want that test for source engine games? Quadro or FirePro hardware does not target gaming needs .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Why should you want that test for source engine games? Quadro or FirePro hardware does not target gaming needs .
                my card is a quadro 600, and i would like to know if it is worth to go for a gtx 750ti (about the same price)

yes, i should run the pts, but so far, i dont manage to install it.

Comment

my card is a quadro 600, and i would like to know if it is worth to go for a gtx 750ti (about the same price)
                  Quadro 600 is from 2010. so GF108 class hardware and that performs in games like GeForce 430/520/620/710...

All in all gtx 750Ti is much better card

Comment

What about Mutter / Muffin ?

I cannot use gnome3 or Cinnamon with my integrated ATi HD4250
                    Does this new models work fine with Mutter / Muffin?

It is not only anATi problem, i have also a discrete Nvidia geforce 7950 GX2 that also do not work with gnome3 or Cinnamon

I know, it is time to upgrade the GPU, but, both work well and there are not a GTX 770 performance alike with GTX 750Ti low TCP, I am waiting for the new low TCP Nvidia generation and i have no rush to play any game.

Comment

Working...
                    X