Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Announces "Braswell" For Chromebooks, Low-End PCs

Phoronix: Intel Announces "Braswell" For Chromebooks, Low-End PCs

At the Intel Developer Forum in Shenzhen, China, Intel has announced Braswell as a new processor to succeed Bay Trail within low-end PCs, laptops, and Chromebooks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, Intel is calling them "Braswell"? The word looks like a combination of "Haswell" and "Broadwell". People will especially confuse it with Broadwell.
    (Consider the example of how in Meteorology, laypersons often confuse a storm "watch" with a storm "warning".)

Also, according to Google Maps, there is no town in California named Braswell. Thus Braswell differs from other Intel codenames.

Comment

Looks like intel is doing "well" lately.

Comment

It would be lovely to have a Chromebook comparison: an Haswell, a Braswell (whenever they come out), the new generation Samsung Exynos 5, etc. Both in terms of GPU and CPU.

These little machines are light, portable, they already come with seom sort of Linux, there is no MS Tax, and you can run a chrooted Linux with Crouton, or a full blown Linux, particularly in the latest models.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          It would be lovely to have a Chromebook comparison: an Haswell, a Braswell (whenever they come out), the new generation Samsung Exynos 5, etc. Both in terms of GPU and CPU.

These little machines are light, portable, they already come with seom sort of Linux, there is no MS Tax, and you can run a chrooted Linux with Crouton, or a full blown Linux, particularly in the latest models.

Cheers!
          Which models can handle a full blown Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by mikedep333 View Post
            Wow, Intel is calling them "Braswell"? The word looks like a combination of "Haswell" and "Broadwell". People will especially confuse it with Broadwell.
            "Braswell" sounds like "brass Haswell" to me. It's like Haswell, just of poorer quality!

I wonder why, because their "* Trail" / "*view" was a rather established pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by bushy View Post
              Which models can handle a full blown Linux?
              I think they all can, but the Intel based are better because some binary only software is not available for ARM, so the Samsungs are not ideal. The main issues are two fold: the older models like the Acer c710 have an annoying BIOS, so it's a PITA to install Linux. The newer models like the C720, I would say the current generation of Chromebooks, allow you to install any OS if you choose to use a "legacy" BIOS [1], and boot Linux normally. But the newer models tend to come with 2GB RAM, which is way more than enough to run a full blown Linux, but will be eaten up quickly if you compile large codebases, or you run heavy duty video editing, etc.

I installed Crouton on my son's Acer C710 and he happily runs many Steam Linux games (I upgraded the Ram to 4GB in that machine).

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...720_Chromebook

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Intel Announces "Braswell" For Chromebooks, Low-End PCs

At the Intel Developer Forum in Shenzhen, China, Intel has announced Braswell as a new processor to succeed Bay Trail within low-end PCs, laptops, and Chromebooks...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY1Mzc
                It sounds like someone at Intel did an end-run around the marketing department on this one...

Comment

Working...
                X