KDE "Plasma Next" Reaches Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Maxjen View Post
    It is extremely annoying because in design form follows function. This thing that has no function whatsoever is just bad design and I want a well designed desktop. I can't understand how anyone can be NOT annoyed by it. My OCD is exploding!
    Really, no function? It gives a fast way of accessing activities (which not many use, yeah), logout/shutdown/suspend, and a way to change desktop settings (e.g. wallpaper). Those are pretty useful, especially if you don't have other widgets for them in your panel or elsewhere (e.g. you have no kickoff widget). I agree, all the functionality can be found elsewhere in likely more natural places, but the beauty of the cashew is that if you were some less-than-savvy user who accidentally deleted your panel and didn't know how to get it back, you could at least still be able to properly shutdown/suspend your computer!

Comment

The cashew in the desktop/nettop work-space is definitely redundant to most users as all the options in that menu are available by right-clicking the desktop as well. Now that tablets have their own work-space it should be made opt-in on the other ones. Cases where it would be useful:
      • old macs from the times of "one mouse button is enough for everyone"
      • computers with defective right mouse button that can't fix that right away (think laptop track-pad)
      • desktop completely covered by widgets

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
        The cashew in the desktop/nettop work-space is definitely redundant to most users as all the options in that menu are available by right-clicking the desktop as well. Now that tablets have their own work-space it should be made opt-in on the other ones. Cases where it would be useful:
        • old macs from the times of "one mouse button is enough for everyone"
        • computers with defective right mouse button that can't fix that right away (think laptop track-pad)
        • desktop completely covered by widgets
        Or people who have assigned right-click to something other than the menu.

Comment

It is extremely annoying because in design form follows function. This thing that has no function whatsoever is just bad design and I want a well designed desktop. I can't understand how anyone can be NOT annoyed by it. My OCD is exploding!
          It has function, as was pointed out earlier. One more function is for making it easier to write image-based tutorials: http://www.hkk.gf.vu.lt/gadget/zingsnis1.png This is from a tutorial I wrote on how to add a real-time weather widget from my university's weather monitoring device (and it got integrated into the website and I even got credit for it; a win-win situation for everyone, I got to spread information about Linux and credit, site maintainers got a prepared tutorial for another platform and satisfaction in knowing that their widget is actually used by people, and users get to know how to use Linux by example as well as how to add the widget if they happen to already be using KDE): http://www.hkk.gf.vu.lt/?page_id=2253

Comment

I removed it!! YIPPY SKIPPY!!!!

Originally posted by radu.5amc View Post
            I never had any issues with it to be honest but here it is
            http://blog.hanschen.org/2008/10/23/...ve-the-cashew/
            Originally posted by Teho View Post
            ihatethecashew still works perfectly on latest KDE.
            Thanks guys!......I had tried "stealth cashew" before and could never get it to work.........And "py-cashew" used to work for me, but it doesn't work on the newer KDE versions.. But "ihatethecashew" works! The reason I had never tried it before is 1: debian doesn't have it in the repository, and 2: I am bad at compiling stuff......But some how I managed to compile and install it using the instructions from radu.5amc's page.. I can finally be happy with KDE again for the time being!..

EDIT: And it is *actually* gone, not just invisible like it used to be.. I think maybe with py-cashew, if you still clicked the invisible cashew, it would still come up with the cashew menu......but ihatethecashew completely removes it completely! Incredible..
            Last edited by Baconmon; 04 April 2014, 08:35 PM.

Comment

This thing that has no function whatsoever is just bad design and I want a well designed desktop. I can't understand how anyone can be NOT annoyed by it. My OCD is exploding!
              I agree that it's not very KDE-ish to not make it configurable, but i always find it funny how insane certain people get about it. Honestly, it bugged me for a few days while i got used to it, and then i never noticed it again.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                I agree that it's not very KDE-ish to not make it configurable, but i always find it funny how insane certain people get about it. Honestly, it bugged me for a few days while i got used to it, and then i never noticed it again.
                It was one of the more annoying things the KDE team did. I'm not rabid about it, but the whole thing had a very un-KDE feel to it.

Personally, I find it to interfere with the close button on maximised windows, and I use an autohiding top panel, so it interferes with that too. I've never clicked on that thing willingly, and don't intend to, so the inability to remove it rubs me the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                  I find it to interfere with the close button on maximised windows
                  Huh?.. Your cashew is so evil that it sits *on top* of your windows even?.. Wow.. that is pretty evil.. I think it's evolving..

Comment

Working...
                  X